Small block EFI build

Old 07-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

That is just nasty. Love it.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reds - I'm not sure that I wanted to total all of my receipts.

I purchased a short block with the cam and timing chain installed and degreed in from an engine builder that understands the differences in a marine build. This was my first engine build and it seemed to me that putting the top end together required less expertise than the bottom half. Other than measuring for push rod length, setting valve lash, and port matching the intake to the heads, most of my 'engine building' was just assembling parts and using a torque wrench. I assembled everything at a mechanic friend's shop so his insight an specialty tools were always available.

I placed the order for the short block in December a year and a half ago. My engine builder gave a price break during the holiday season to keep their shop busy during their slow season. I was able to save about 12% off his already competitive price by timing my order. I found the Stealth Ram intake with the throttle body on a Craigslist search. It had sat on someone's shelf for years but never been installed. The Holley EFI and DIS systems have minimum advertised pricing. I found a Holley vendor that had 20% off site wide discounts on Black Friday. Summit offerers to beat other vendors prices, so with a call to them I was able to save a little more and still work with an internet retailer that I was familiar with. I was able to save well over a thousand dollars in total by being an astute shopper. Even with all of those cost savings I still have jut shy of 9k into the motor not including the exhaust which I had previously purchased. Buying quality parts adds up fast.

The exhaust manifolds were purchased new when Eddie Marine had a preseason sale. The stainless risers, Corsa Y pipes and mufflers were used from eBay and Craigslist. The the entire exhaust system probably set me back about $1400. I ran this setup on the stock engine while I was collecting parts for the rest of my build project. Like others have said on this forum, aftermarket exhaust by it self it doesn't do much on a stock small block. My on to plane times improved a little and I picked up about 150 to 200 rpm on the top end. I spent about $250 extra for the oxygen sensor bung installation and lengthened tales in preparation for the new motor.

To answer your second question, I would buy Holley EFI again but feel that Holley has really dropped the ball on one facet of their system: consumer education. They're pretty good at bragging about what the system can do but Holley has no available software training documentation. The help section within the software is good at telling where to find the many adjustment parameters but gives little or no advise or strategies for making changes.

They do have their EFI training classes if you are willing to travel to Bowling Green, Kentucky. I'm guessing that attending is not cheap. I have searched the web for info and feedback and apparently the first rule about Holley EFI training classes is that you do not talk about the cost of Holley EFI training classes. And the second rule about Holley EFI training classes is that You Do Not Talk About The Cost Of Holley EFI Training Classes. (Fight Club for those that don't get the reference.) Since they hold these classes regularly it would be pretty easy for them set up a few cameras and edit the video for dvd sales.

At some point Holley did have the training manuals from their classes posted on their website but the links are currently dead. I don't understand why this information needs to be such a big secret. If anyone has a copy of the Tier 1 and 2 training manual PDFs that used to be on Holley's site please contact me.

I purchased the only training video that I could find on the Holley EFI system from Steve Morris. It could be better. The video quality is mostly poor and at times it created as many questions as answers. However, since at this time they pretty much have a corner on the market, I thought that it was still worth the $35.

Holley's tech line has had a forty minute plus wait each of the three times that I have used it. Once I have gotten on the line with them they have been helpful. I'm slowly figuring the system out but Holley certainly could have made the education process much easier.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious as to how the boat will handle the increase in horsepower. Did you research what effects the added HP may do to the overall ride of the boat in regard to it getting "squirrelly" at higher then rated speeds or possible distortion of the hull itself?

I am just starting the process of putting together a repower project on my 27ft Sea Ray Overnighter and talking to a bunch of marine folks they tell me to research the possibility of over powering which can cause issues with the hull and the ride at higher speeds. As one of them said, the reason the performance boats are pricier is because of certain materials used in the hull construction, beefier stringers, Kevlar etc...

Another possible issue is the outdrive; I have a Bravo III and going up in HP anything over 425hp all bets are off. They tell me at some time the drive will go out thus I am researching the possibility of (A) rebuilding it beefier or (B). Replacing it with a Bravo III XR. I would really take it easy with the Alfa drive if you think you are getting that much HP out of the new unit.

Otherwise you motor looks and sounds great, I hope it all works great out on the water. Please post how she handles out on the open water.