Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just add some blow by to it than watch.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I found it very "relevant" to this topic. I'm just a truck driver, so it could be my feeble mind.

A video showing how the screens simply restrict the flow of oil, from a guy who builds some of the biggest, baddest, high powered, innovative marine engines out there, is irrelevant and stupid. Or him simply suggesting in the video, that if you run a high volume pump at extended periods of high rpm, to "be careful". And how the proper screen size, is important. Totally not relative to the OP's question.

What are your thoughts about a big block long stroke marine engine turning high rpm, and the crankcase windage trying to push air up thru those screens, while oil is trying to drain thru them? Is there any truth in that, or is that irrelevant as well?

thank you, for your continued great technical insight you, once again, have brought to the forum.

Watching a guy dump a gallon of oil on top of the screens proves nothing other than if ANY filter media is instantaneously flooded it can become overwealmed for a moment.

Tell us about what you read in super chevy about the long arm BBC.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

What are your thoughts about a big block long stroke marine engine turning high rpm, and the crankcase windage trying to push air up thru those screens, while oil is trying to drain thru them? Is there any truth in that, or is that irrelevant as well?

isn't that what windage trays,vacuum pumps or a full on dry sump system for or any combination of 2 or 3 of those options all at once.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly

Watching a guy dump a gallon of oil on top of the screens proves nothing other than if ANY filter media is instantaneously flooded it can become overwealmed for a moment.

You finish your first ever engine build with 47 people holding your hand along the way? Whats it been 2 or 3 years now? Maybe you should start reading about engines instead of huffy bicycle modifications

I know , alexi from boostpower is stupid. Hopefully he reads your posts here and learns a thing or two from you.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You finish your first ever engine build with 47 people holding your hand along the way? Whats it been 2 or 3 years now? Maybe you should start reading about engines instead of huffy bicycle modifications

I know , alexi from boostpower is stupid. Hopefully he reads your posts here and learns a thing or two from you.

Never said the guy was stupid. Just that dumping a gallon of oil in the valley is not relevant to the question of wether or not to use screens.

You have the emotional composition of a teenage girl MT.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly

it,s comments like that that proves how little you really know.you are a jelous little man with no clue.keep posting as every time you do you make a bigger fool of yourself.by the way,did you ever use that 1400 dollar masterpeice carb yet or is your engine still not finished.or maybe you trashed it already.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

If it was oil with nano technology , it would have flowed right thru those large enough to see thru perforations.

Psst: I don't believe it was the experience of Alexi, it was just the visual shown that wasn't very accurate. I'd like to add that oil temperature has everything to do with flow rate and flowability. A made up word. Ha !

Last edited by SB; 07-09-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Just add some blow by to it than watch.
Another reason I was told to leave it be....
Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should use 5W20 oil if you use valley screens?

Last edited by Brandonb_05; 07-09-2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Grammar sucks!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
My buddy has 5 Katech motors that came out of the Lemans Corvettes not one of them had screens. And your talking about oil systems with 4 gallons of oil. And the oil pan has everything to do with it if you are going to restrict the flow back to the pan.
100% correct.the use of a screen in the lifter valley is old school thinking and rarely done these days.think about it.if a lifter breaks no screen is going to stop the damage from the lifter grinding on the camshaft.i actually saw a engine get trashed from the epoxy bonding the screen to the block breaking loose and clogging the oil pickup screen.im not telling anyone what to do but i never use a screen in the lifter valley.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.