Gauge upgrade help >

Gauge upgrade help

Notices

Gauge upgrade help

Old 07-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gauge upgrade help

Hey guys- so I'm trying to upgrade my gauges and as usual, everything is an absolute pain in the ass and nothing can be simple. What I have going on is that my original gauges which are in pic one and two have four posts, the one on the far left (purple wire) is for the warning lights in the center. My new gauges are auto meter and do not have the warning lights. They also have the Illumination and sender posts on the opposite sides of the gauge and the ground on top of those instead of the bottom (not usually any problem at all except when each f&#&$@?#+ wire is cut and zip tied to exact length and I don't have enough wire to reach the new post location). But anyway I can get around that. My question is which posts are which on the old gauges? Gaffrig should be slapped for having such sh!tty labeling. The S and I labels are off in no man's land not by any particular post. The middle one is Ground obviously but any help would be appreciated. The third pic is the new gauge.

Last edited by AJ POWERPLAY; 07-09-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Purple = Ignition power
Black = Ground
Dk Blue = Illumination power
Remaining wire = sender

The warning lights on the gauges do not have separate wires.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:03 AM
Registered

Alright so which wires combine? Bc there are only three terminals on the new gauges
Old 07-10-2015, 01:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfisher
Alright so which wires combine? Bc there are only three terminals on the new gauges
Where is the light bulb/socket??? The light bulb/socket will should have a power and ground wire.
One wire will run from the socket to the ground terminal stud and one will have to connect to dark blue wires.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfisher
None...

The original Gaffrig gauge uses a separate bulb in a twist type socket powered via circuit (sorry, don't know the correct terminology), hence the 4th wire (blue on bottom right). Looks like the Autometer will require a hard wired light socket pigtail that plugs or twists into back of the gauge.

http://www.autometer.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=3211

Not an Autometer gauge guy, so correct me if I am wrong. It looks like you need a pigtail for your gauge light. One pigtail wire to dk. blue and the other to ground and plug it in. As stated in above post. Purple to Ignition (I), Black to ground and other wire to the tach (S).
Old 07-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered

The light does have its own set of wires so that helps a lot, thanks guys!