Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Working on a boat deal, but have some technical exhaust upgrade questions >

Working on a boat deal, but have some technical exhaust upgrade questions

Notices

Working on a boat deal, but have some technical exhaust upgrade questions

Old 07-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working on a boat deal, but have some technical exhaust upgrade questions

Hello! It's been awhile since I posted on this site. Mostly, because I sold the Formula and have been waiting to find the right boat since. I think I did. I am looking at buying a 2008 Larson 268 LXi with a VP 5.7L GXi motor in it. It does have the 320hp version. Man, I love the lines on that boat! After having a few different styles of boats recently, the bow rider design fits our boating lifestyle best, right now. I am going to have the dealer replace the manifolds and risers as part of the deal. BUT, would it make sense to upgrade to some type of "performance" manifolds or "header" type (like a CMI)? Will that motor realize any benefits from the extra $$ for that upgrade (other than looking cool)? Also, while all that is being done, I was considering putting a "Captain's Call" exhaust setup too. What do ya'll think?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:13 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

It basically is under power to begin with.

E controls - Volvo tuned ECM you will not gain anything putting silent choice on it. Maybe 1 to 2 max mph. That's it. This boat with that 5.7 motor really needs a Volvo DP = twin prop outdrive hopefully you have that.

Please no offense the boat really does have nice lines for a bowrider but Larson quality is average at best. They Genmar corp in which owned at that timeframe Larson, Glastron, Wellcraft, Ranger and so on went bankrupt in 2010 and they left a lot of dealers with non paid warranty issues thru out many years Just saying.

Last edited by BUP; 07-18-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
It basically is under power to begin with.

E controls - Volvo tuned ECM you will not gain anything putting silent choice on it. Maybe 1 to 2 max mph. That's it. This boat with that 5.7 motor really needs a Volvo DP = twin prop outdrive hopefully you have that.

Please no offense the boat really does have nice lines for a bowrider but Larson quality is average at best. They Genmar corp in which owned at that timeframe Larson, Glastron, Wellcraft, Ranger and so on went bankrupt in 2010 and they left a lot of dealers with non paid warranty issues thru out many years Just saying.

Thanks! Yes, it is a DP. The lines are nice! Plus, it has a nice aluminum arch on it too! I am not in a position (yet) to get back into a hi-powered twin big block machine like I had before. I am just looking for a roomy bow rider so I can take the kids and their friends skiing, tubing etc without breaking the bank wide open. According to the tests I have read, this boat and motor setup propels the boat to around 52mph and cruises at around 30 mph burning about 7 gph. That should get the job done for the next couple years. When the kids are out of school/college, big blocks here we come, lol!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:04 PM
BUP
Banned

No doubt for a bowrider is a sharp looking boat. My guess was 48 mph max on a good day completely loaded with fuel and usual stuff on board and about 5 to 6 people. Good luck with your boat. Volvo DP is a good drive.

Here is the issues you will have or expect to see whenever.

The external trim pump mounted in the transom assembly is junk. They leak and bleed down and or loss of trimming the outdrive completely. Volvo is on their 5 th gen with this trim pump and finally have it right for the past year or 2t. It comes from Germany.

The 2007 and the 2008 - 85 % of them needed to be replace . Volvo at that timeframe had a silent campaign that ran for 2 years for the ones that came in inop but if it still work nobody talked about it nor got it changed out unless you knew about the campaign -

. Anyways if you have the small white plastic cap on the side of the trim pump it is the junk pump. They are expensive and yours in due time will go out if it is not the latest gen trim pump.

Also the water impeller housing can have a bad seal and the housing is completely ruined - will either leak like crazy or come apart. You can rebuild them 99 % of shops just replace them with a brand new assembly including myself

. Next is the cool fuel - Carter assembly with 2 external fuel pumps are very problem childs. they peel paint off internally restricting and knock out the fuel pumps over time.

That is the main problems for Volvo and then add the external trim pump unless you have the latest gen in which is the good one. I am completely fully & very current trained on Volvo apps and work on them daily just incase if anyone needed to know were I am coming from. John.

Last edited by BUP; 07-18-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
No doubt for a bowrider is a sharp looking boat. My guess was 48 mph max on a good day completely loaded with fuel and usual stuff on board and about 5 to 6 people. Good luck with your boat. Volvo DP is a good drive.

Here is the issues you will have or expect to see whenever.

The external trim pump mounted in the transom assembly is junk. They leak and bleed down and or loss of trimming the outdrive completely. Volvo is on their 5 th gen with this trim pump and finally have it right for the past year or 2t. It comes from Germany.

The 2007 and the 2008 - 85 % of them needed to be replace . Volvo at that timeframe had a silent campaign that ran for 2 years for the ones that came in inop but if it still work nobody talked about it nor got it changed out unless you knew about the campaign -

. Anyways if you have the small white plastic cap on the side of the trim pump it is the junk pump. They are expensive and yours in due time will go out if it is not the latest gen trim pump.

Also the water impeller housing can have a bad seal and the housing is completely ruined - will either leak like crazy or come apart. You can rebuild them 99 % of shops just replace them with a brand new assembly including myself

. Next is the cool fuel - Carter assembly with 2 external fuel pumps are very problem childs. they peel paint off internally restricting and knock out the fuel pumps over time.

That is the main problems for Volvo and then add the external trim pump unless you have the latest gen in which is the good one. I am completely fully & very current trained on Volvo apps and work on them daily just incase if anyone needed to know were I am coming from. John.
Thanks for the tips! Is that cool fuel for carb'd engines or EFI? I am going to replace the manifolds and risers and have the dealer do a 100 hour service, just as a baseline for me going forward. Do you recommend OEM Volvo Penta manifolds and risers or just aftermarket stock replacements?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:52 AM
BUP
Banned

All EFI and MPI to current Volvo Penta use a cool fuel that is made by Carter. The early units one lasted 10 to 14 years the newer boats with them last 4 to 8 years.

Summertime boating season I change 2 min per week because they have failed in one shape or another including stuck float -

Carter only sells these to Volvo. I tried to get them thru Carter - good luck with that. They act like they do not even know what you are talking about. " hmmm boat for what and I never seen anything like that you are talking about " is most of the replies I get talking from Carter over the phone.

I know who makes Volvo exhaust manifolds and the quality is really good but of course they are very heavy being cast iron.

If you do the silent choice - they are set up with a crossover in the exhaust from Corsa. That's the only way to go really for the set up on Volvo's.

Volvo and Corsa worked a bit together to come up with a design to reduce water reversion - I want to say around 2007. Volvo Penta DOES NOT use water shutters aka flappers valves aka flappers in their exhaust system - NONE - as mercruiser does.

Volvo does use check valves in the risers - very important to have them installed and working properly. Good luck

Last edited by BUP; 07-19-2015 at 10:59 AM.