502 running rich on one side >

502 running rich on one side

Notices

502 running rich on one side

Old 07-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 running rich on one side

Engine Guru's this one is for you, I just had my engine rebuilt I have put approx 5-6 hours on it. this was a total rebuilt from the ground up with a mild tune with a cam change and computer flash and lightning headers. the issue is that the starboard side is running rich, you can smell gas when at idle and the stern of the boat is all black. I have checked the oil several times to be sure there isn't any water, and there is non. was worried that the headers could be leaking as they were used. I have checked the plugs they do have some carbon on them as well. Any thoughts and suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 07-19-2015, 11:15 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I take it a MPI engine ? Would this be correct for starters

If so, have you scanned the engine to see all parameters including coolant temp sensor and MAP sensor ? Any fault codes ?

Did you install a brand new t- stat and clean the housing out, If not I sure would for need build. Is your engine running cold ?

Have you done a fuel injector balance test - you can do it with the scan tool ?

Did you have the injectors flow tested and cleaned when your engine was rebuilt ? Possible stuck open injector

Is your ignition system firing properly and every hole ? What is your ignition set up and how old are some of the parts to it . wires, coil , cap, rotor, ignition sensor or ign module ?

Proper spark plug gapped properly and new spark plugs instead of carbon ones, I am NOT saying this is going to be the fix all, but it can help to especially for a new build.

Last edited by BUP; 07-19-2015 at 11:21 AM.