Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
food for thought, fresh water cooling >

food for thought, fresh water cooling

Notices

food for thought, fresh water cooling

Old 07-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I had the ps cooler off changing belts this spring I found some big chunks. In that, courtesy of the previous owner .The impeller looked fine but I replaced it. The process was so arduous working by braille, I didn't look farther. My bad.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Anyone tried a gas powered leaf blower to clean out the oil cooler? I used my electric one and blew pieces everywhere, I could see light through clearly afterword though.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Registered

I just use a hose and backflush, just ran into a issue on friends boat, was killing 1 exhaust hose due to lack of water flow, found a bunch of gravel caught in the cooler screen...
Old 07-22-2015, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I just use a hose and backflush, just ran into a issue on friends boat, was killing 1 exhaust hose due to lack of water flow, found a bunch of gravel caught in the cooler screen...
In my experience that's not sufficient, I had to rod out the cooler to clear some of the debris. Now pulling the hoses on both sides of the oil cooler is part of winterizing.

I've thought about this before but decided it wasn't worth the cost to add a sea strainer. Good operating practice really reduces impeller failure.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I wish it was easy removal - have you cleaned the oil cooler on a 575sci? Damn thing is WAY back there and WAY low - very difficult to get to due to the blower and fuel injection set up. That's the first cooler in the flow and it's positioned in the worst possible location to service (thanks Merc! )

The end caps are also positioned just inside the y pipe too - so you have to remove the cooler to really get in there and clean it.

Originally Posted by BUP
Easy removal is you pull off front and back side of the oil cooler hoses and stick small diameter rods (we use inters of cut to length OMC throttle cables) thru from front to back pushing out broken pieces from each honey comb section. . Also we use picks on the backside and stab pieces to pull out. .
Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Registered

I came to the conclusion while working on mine that it couldn't be any more work in the long run than pulling the engine doing all the necessary things and reinstalling.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey BUP, can you clear your PMs? I have a question for you.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You can guys can email

[email protected]

Sorry not everyone knows my personal email as everyone knows how to PM up here and I keep my PM box full for a reason..

basically 99% of everyone is great up here but there is some who have drove me nuts with PM's about 6 times a day trying to get me to fix there boat anyways not to go into a long story about it. It became a hassle. Sorry it is full all the time.

Put a title on the email so I know who its from and open it.

Last edited by BUP; 07-23-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have plenty of impellers thru out the years melted / wedged / stuck in the oil cooler - and you can not black flush every single piece out everytime- yes sometimes you can and sometimes you get lucky..

I totally Understand access can be a problem and or the huge issue but that goes for anything on a lot of marine engines.

How is easy is it to pull starters, change impellers, change the 90 amp fuse at the starter or how about block drains on twin apps, most are very very difficult all the up to impossible anyways - Back flushing is not 100 % everytime effective for removing all stuck broken impeller pieces. Just saying. that's it.

I totally agree with Cole and have been there at least 1000 times.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
So people are always having issues with impeller chunks and fragments plugging chit up downstream and i now may be one of them . Why on earth hasn't someone made and promoted a clear post pump filter screen to attach directly to the pump, so one you don't have to clean debris out of coolers and thermostats, and as a bonus you can look in and see that you're impeller is is intact.
mods please move this post I'm not sure how it landed here.
Good idea but doubt a post impeller screen will work- The freshwater is going to have small "debri" that needs to pass through the system and would get caught in the screen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.