Notices

Repower

Old 07-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repower

I have a 27ft older Sea Ray CC currently with the 7.4L 454 which is 330hp with a Bravo III outdrive. She's tired really tired... Time to replace the old girl's power plant. The hull and interior are perfect I love the old girl..

Here's my question, I am researching motors and I really like the new GM 6.2 LSA which has the ability to do up to 550hp. I know the drive will need to be addressed most likely replaced unless it can be rebuilt "beefier" to handle the extra horsepower?

My questions, will the 6.2 LSA be too much horsepower for my boat? My concern is at higher speeds will she get "SQUIRELLY" and can my current outdrive be rebuilt with "beefier" internals to handle the larger horsepower?

We use the boat for skiing, tubing, slow cruises with the family and then there's the day's out with the men hitting it hard if ya know what I mean!

Thanks,
Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stay with a big block, boat like that really needs the torque, the 6.2 will want more RPM to make power
Old 07-22-2015, 08:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Find a complete take out 415hp 502 fuel injected. Easy job and you'll be on the water quick.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guy's, at the moment I'm not in a rush she is still in the water and useable for this season. I am looking towards an off season project and I’m really thinking about the new GM supercharged 6.2 LSA Marine motor if the boat can handle the increase in power.

If anyone knows or can direct me with finding out if the hull can handle the increase in horsepower I would really appreciate it.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had a zz502 in that boat with cmi headers ,24" tabs trs drive with a 4 blade wasnt a drag race hero but could get close to 60 running light and loose .a similar repower with a crate 496ho behind a b3 in a formula brought about the same speeds better holeshot for sure if this was a century arabian or big supra v drive that could ultimately have a tow rope connected to a wakeboarder or wakesurfer that could appreciate the clean exhaust of the modern supercharged lsa ,i would vote go modern . But for the old sea ray the same cost would bring a540 or 598 na carb motor that would basically be almost plug and play . Will burn more fuel but probably be more reliable and definetly be easier to service and have a throatier exhaust note with the pipes opened.
with tabs and a b3 and tight steering boat should be fine into the low to mid 60s