Transom mount water pickup >

Transom mount water pickup

Notices

Transom mount water pickup

Old 07-23-2015, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom mount water pickup

I've heard of people doing this before and was wondering how it's done.

I'm wanting to set up a transom mount water pickup for a outboard motor. It's on a fishing boat and the motor doesn't have a low water pickup, I run shallow waters and want to be able to get the motor more out of the water and not have to worry about overheating it.

My main question is, anyone know how it's set up to get the water to the motor and is there block off kits or would I have to block off the pickups on the lower unit? I'm also going to run a sea strainer.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 07-24-2015, 01:34 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Never heard of doing it for an outboard.
You might want to post this on http://www.screamandfly.com/forum.php
Old 07-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I had Bob's Machine Shop hull mounted water pick-ups on my Talon 22 with twin 2.5's. They were mounted to the center pod. There were plugs on the side just below the engine that tapped into the cooling system. You have to add a check valve in line so when you are at idle and picking up water from the gear case, the check valve prevents the water from taking the path of least resistance and simply flowing out the hull mounted pick-up instead of the block. I had cleanable 40 mesh strainers to prevent any debris getting into the check valve or engine.
Attached Thumbnails Transom mount water pickup-rear1.jpg