Water Pickup Location !!! >

Water Pickup Location !!!

Notices

Water Pickup Location !!!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pickup Location !!!

Hello all. I think I have decided to either do a thru-hull water pickup or a transom mount water pickup. Going to stop pulling through the drives. If I decide to go forward with this should I go through the bottom or the the transom. If I do this I am going to use the ss tube type pickups. I do like the one that goes through the bottom of the hull but the transom mount could work fine too. The part that freaks me out is drill ing a hole through the bottom of the boat. Don't know why because both through holes will be below water line.

Would like to hear pro's and con's of your experiences of both. Or if you are very against this route tell me why I should continue to go through the drive.

Boat is a 2000 38 Lightning with SxS motors and Bravo 1 drives w/ low water pickups. I have a sea strainer that is going to be in line and have upgraded to a SS raw water pump housing. I have mercury pressure relief valves I will install (if decide to go thais way) right before the sea strainers.

Looking forward to hearing your answers. Thanks!!!!!
Old 07-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We use the Stainless Marine bottom thru-hull PU's. Not difficult to install and you can easily regulate your water pressure with a short 6" trough in front of the PU. We ended up completely filling in the trough and still get 10-15 lbs WP....all you need. If we were to do this again, I would initially go with no trough and then slowly use a round sanding disc to add water pressure. We also ended up installing a round SS cover with holes flush with the bottom to keep from clogging the sea strainers with Lake Erie weed.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:01 AM
Registered

Doesn't an edge of the pickup go just below the hull? Ever so slightly? Then you could trough from there? We don't have that much trouble from weeds here in SC. Is this a better option than continuing to use the drives as pickups? Also what sealant to use? 3M 5200 ??
Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Registered

I have a Hardin Marine transom pickup to a Gil sea strainer. Best thing I've ever did. Very close to flush with the hull.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JerseyOutlaw
I have a Hardin Marine transom pickup to a Gil sea strainer. Best thing I've ever did. Very close to flush with the hull.
Do you have a pressure relief valve somewhere inn there?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Registered

No, it spikes a bit coming back in when I leave the water but only into the low 20's. U'd need 40+ to start pushin hose clamps off.