454 Starters Driving Me Mad >

454 Starters Driving Me Mad

Notices

454 Starters Driving Me Mad

Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 Starters Driving Me Mad

Running an older carbed 454. I was using the traditional style starters and they would never last more than a year or two. Last year, I ugpraded to a PMGR style starter (part # 6793.) Engine started faster and smoother than ever before. These starters have fewer moving parts and make more torque on less power -- so I figured it was a no brainer.

That starter lasted for 5 weeks and then the bendix wouldn't engage any more and it would only spin. I took it in to my local shop (rather than return it to the online retailer that would just send me another junk starter) and the local shop said that they had never seen a PMGR starter for that application and that there was a plastic gear inside of it that was cooked. They said it's just a $1 part but they couldn't get it from anywhere so I'd have to return the starter..... furthermore, they said that my engine backfiring had caused it to wreck the starter.

I replaced it with another 6793. Checked the timing on my engine and everything seemed good.

This summer I started having a vapor-lock issue and the boat would die while at idle when hot. I've been working on trouble-shooting that but in the meantime, it means lots of cranking. The new 6793 suffered the same fate while trying to crank it while hot.

Obviously, I'm giving up on the 6793.

Is there another PMGR starter that may work better? Or do I just go back to a traditional starter? I've been buying dbelectrical starters.... do I get what I pay for and I just need to buy an expensive starter? Any recommendations?
Old 07-30-2015, 05:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Dbelectrical starters are cheap Chinese stuff.
\

That said , I've used many and have had no problems. But note: have not had to put them thru any tough long crank situations, nor cranking against a backfire either. So...you could be running into cheap stuff that needs to be better for your situations.

You could get a Remy (used to be Delco Remy) starter.
Get part# here:
http://catalog.remyinc.com/?utm_sour...819.1438293672

And then go shopping.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:48 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive prob bought 20 of the db electric starters already this year .ive never had a problem with them ...however the gear in there is plastic and a lot of constant cranking ruins the gear ...theres a reason the gear is plastic ,,if it were metal it would either break the block .the bolts or nose cone off ..the key is to crank for a while let it cool crank again ect but it sounds like you have other issues
Old 07-31-2015, 05:31 AM
Registered

The rule of thumb is 30 seconds of cranking 5 minutes of cooling. I would buy a powermaster and be done with it.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the high torque gear reduction starters from summit, seem to work well, I have used DB's alt's and have had issues with voltage spikes...
Old 07-31-2015, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried a DB Electrical starter on a recommendation from a friend several years ago. Went through two of them before switching to a Merc unit. My friend ended up doing the same after also having starter issues. Lesson learned - the "MIC" (Made In China) label = you get what you paid for. I wouldn't have a problem running them on a car that has easy access, but on a boat where changing a starter might mean pulling an engine (or standing on your head in a hot bilge), I think it is a good idea to avoid cheaping out.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The volvo penta version of the merc gear reduction starter (for offset apps) seems to be the best built , has stainless brush holder assy and plunger pins the other guys dont have. If you have a manual tranny style flywheel its likely not bent
Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I have access to quickly and easily change the starter. Do the PMGR units need to be marine? In my mind they are already completely sealed and there shouldn't be a place for spark to escape? Anyone have an opinion on that?

Flywheel is good and straight and teeth aren't banged up. Checked it this spring.

I'm having trouble locating another PMGR starter that isn't made in China and has traditional mounting ears. Here's the DB page for the starter I've used -> http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2299-n...-140-6075.aspx

Punching those part numbers into the above Remy lookup only gets me CW turning starters. What am I missing?
Old 08-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
The rule of thumb is 30 seconds of cranking 5 minutes of cooling. I would buy a powermaster and be done with it.
pmgr=power master gear reduction.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
pmgr=power master gear reduction.
permanent magnet gear reduction starter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.