water in motor >

water in motor

Notices

water in motor

Old 07-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in motor

I have 2 brand new 540's installed in my 38 formula. Getting water in motor now. It has CMI E top dry headers on it and injects water right before tips. Motors do have big cams. Can't see water working it way back up headers. The headers do have water leaking out at header gasket and head. Found head bolt washers are keeping headers from sealing. Any possibility with the gasket leaking it's letting water come back up the headders???? Need help...
Old 07-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I guess it could be creating a suction at the head but that along way to pull the water, could it be leaking at the jumper hose ?
Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Motors have been known to revert water with exhaust leaks.

I've seen big cammed motors pull water from exhaust with water introduced at end of tips, so yeh, it's possible. Tht's why you see some extreme motors with the exhaust water dumped thru hull, or a 90 at end of tip to keep all water from exhaust stream.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Several members with more experience than me have said that a header leak can promote reversion, so I would get that fixed ASAP. Also, weren't the CMI's noted for developing cracks and having leaks? Might want to pressure test them if you haven't already. Simple deal since they will be coming off anyway to fix the gasket leak.

If it is a lot of water getting into the engine, I would check other leak points as well. Maybe pressure test the cooling passages on the engine to make sure you are not leaking water past an intake gasket. Always a possibility on a brand new engine.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I had water sucked back up into a motor because of a bad exhaust valve seat. Anything is possible.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:01 AM
Registered

How much water in what part of the engine and how long does it take to happen. We could be barking up the wrong tree.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:41 PM
Registered

Alot of water.. 2 mins of run time and oil is milk... When i suck oil out there is raw water in bottom of pan before the milk shake starts comig out..changed intake gaskets thinking that was it.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:44 PM
Registered

Where the exhaust header and head meet (gasket is burnt out) there is raw water spraying out when running.. #1 cylinder. Also.. Where cmi e-top headers connect to the down pipe. Water is dripping out of clamp (rope seal).
Old 07-31-2015, 02:52 PM
Registered

Seems like there is a little more than just reversion going on here. That much water should hydro-lock the engine if it was only coming in through the exhaust. Sounds like there are a few issues. First thing I would do is block off the water discharge/exhaust lines and pressurize the rest of the system through the inlet line, 15 psi is safe, to find where the bulk is getting in at. After that I would tackle the exhaust by pressure testing the headers and fixing the gasket.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick2500
Seems like there is a little more than just reversion going on here. That much water should hydro-lock the engine if it was only coming in through the exhaust. Sounds like there are a few issues. First thing I would do is block off the water discharge/exhaust lines and pressurize the rest of the system through the inlet line, 15 psi is safe, to find where the bulk is getting in at. After that I would tackle the exhaust by pressure testing the headers and fixing the gasket.
Yep! That much water that fast. Sounds like a cracked block or head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.