Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2nd Power steering pump smoking and leaking. >

2nd Power steering pump smoking and leaking.

Notices

2nd Power steering pump smoking and leaking.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you running the P/S cooler ? was told by hardin to only run the GM Hi Performance non-foaming P/S fluid, also was told that the "marine" P/S made by AGR uses bearings instead of bushings(why they are $500) to keep heat down, I have never had one of those apart but I do know the reg ones do not have a bearings..Also are you sure you don't have a leak ? running the fluid out, then killing the pump ?
Old 08-10-2015, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I would get an external reservoir. The res on the pump doesn't hold enough fluid.

I am on my second boat with full Hyd steering. Both did not have an external reservoir. I have never seen a need to hold more fluid. Of course I guess if I get a leak I will be wishing I had a bigger reservoir.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

is it possible that the lines are not routed correctly?if the pump is dead headed it will burn up real quick.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

[QUOTE=ivanfuego;4340181]Oil is boiling over for sure. Dam thing was melting my brand new cables... my fault for running it behind the filter and letting it touch the line. Anyway the filter is clogged so I need to get a hold of Ron at imco. I have imco full hydraulic no reservoir except the pump itself.[QUOTE]

Doesn't this indicate that you found the problem?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:32 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at the high pressure line near the helm for an inline filter, mine stopped up over the years and burned up two pumps and a couple of belts. 3rd pump flushed lines and no inline filter, best the steering has ever worked. still have a magnet inside the reservoir like the automotive setup, been a couple of years now and still good
Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
I am on my second boat with full Hyd steering. Both did not have an external reservoir. I have never seen a need to hold more fluid. Of course I guess if I get a leak I will be wishing I had a bigger reservoir.
Thats what I was thinking... It should work fine the way it came from the factory.

QUOTE=mike tkach;4340661]is it possible that the lines are not routed correctly?if the pump is dead headed it will burn up real quick.[/QUOTE]

Possible but unlikely. I removed the helm pump so I had the 4 lines hanging around for a few months but they were labeled and covered with a latex glove. Also, the first pump lasted a few hours on the hose and 3 days of WOT test runs. It didn't burn up till I ran for about 20 minutes at 2000rpm cuz the wife said she had enough. The second pump only lasted a few minutes.

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Doesn't this indicate that you found the problem?
I hope so but until I put everything back together and I can steer I won't know for sure.

Originally Posted by ezstriper
you running the P/S cooler ? was told by hardin to only run the GM Hi Performance non-foaming P/S fluid, also was told that the "marine" P/S made by AGR uses bearings instead of bushings(why they are $500) to keep heat down, I have never had one of those apart but I do know the reg ones do not have a bearings..Also are you sure you don't have a leak ? running the fluid out, then killing the pump ?
Merc oil cooler that came on the engine. I used ATF as per the merc specs. I had the original Merc pump on there then the new one was from the local auto parts. as for a leak? I didn't see the first pump go but my bilge was clean when I left that day then a complete mess when the pump burnt up. so its possible it leaked then burnt but I think it burned the seals and then leaked out. I'd have to pull my gauge panel and check if the helm pump is leaking now too. But thats a brand new pump and wasn't leaking when I installed it and fired up on the hose.

I ordered a new IMCO filter. When it arrives I'll put in a new pump and pull the cooler make sure its not also clogged. blow out the hoses and use new fluid and see what happens. if the pump burns up again I'm selling the boat. I'm tired of dirty work clothes and black fingernails.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanfuego
Thats what I was thinking... It should work fine the way it came from the factory.

QUOTE=mike tkach;4340661]is it possible that the lines are not routed correctly?if the pump is dead headed it will burn up real quick.
Possible but unlikely. I removed the helm pump so I had the 4 lines hanging around for a few months but they were labeled and covered with a latex glove. Also, the first pump lasted a few hours on the hose and 3 days of WOT test runs. It didn't burn up till I ran for about 20 minutes at 2000rpm cuz the wife said she had enough. The second pump only lasted a few minutes.

I hope so but until I put everything back together and I can steer I won't know for sure.

Merc oil cooler that came on the engine. I used ATF as per the merc specs. I had the original Merc pump on there then the new one was from the local auto parts. as for a leak? I didn't see the first pump go but my bilge was clean when I left that day then a complete mess when the pump burnt up. so its possible it leaked then burnt but I think it burned the seals and then leaked out. I'd have to pull my gauge panel and check if the helm pump is leaking now too. But thats a brand new pump and wasn't leaking when I installed it and fired up on the hose.

I ordered a new IMCO filter. When it arrives I'll put in a new pump and pull the cooler make sure its not also clogged. blow out the hoses and use new fluid and see what happens. if the pump burns up again I'm selling the boat. I'm tired of dirty work clothes and black fingernails.[/QUOTE]

i thought dirty work clothes and black fingernails are normal,at least for me,lol.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wobble
look at the high pressure line near the helm for an inline filter, mine stopped up over the years and burned up two pumps and a couple of belts. 3rd pump flushed lines and no inline filter, best the steering has ever worked. still have a magnet inside the reservoir like the automotive setup, been a couple of years now and still good
it will look like an earls inline fuel screen, contains a ceramic stone looking material, in Aruba now so I cant get a pic. [ATTACH=CONFIG]544118[/ATTACH] found one, just like these
Attached Thumbnails 2nd Power steering pump smoking and leaking.-4300series_high_pressure_in-line_filters_family.gif  

Last edited by Wobble; 08-12-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Registered

Yes that looks just like the imco one I have. Mine was mounted on the transom.