Notices

454 head

Old 08-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 head

What's going on guys I've got a 88' 272 Sr1 formula twin 454s, been getting water in my oil recently..long story short Where the exhaust valve goes through the head in the number 2 cylinder is leaking. I know I should probably do both at the same time but I am rushing to get the boat back in for the rest of the summer, any major problem with just doing one now? I'm also having some trouble finding the numbers off the head as I haven't had time to do much but remove the manifold and riser. I believe it's the peanut oval ports though. My next question is I've found someone local to me that has a set of heads but they have been sitting for a few years, were cleaned by a machine shop and then sat. Would I be able to swap out the internals from my head into this new one or am I better just having the machine shop rebuild them if this guys internals are stuck from sitting? Ball park price I should pay for used heads? And ball park price on a rebuild if I need new internals? Thanks for any info in advance! Located in Suffolk Long Island if anyone has a shop or parts I could pick up! Thanks again
Old 08-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Pretty common for the guides to rot out on those heads, or any heads used in saltwater esp for nearly 25+ years.

As far as swapping out parts from your heads, to another head, etc............we are unable to answer that question. Not enough info provided. You may be better off getting some heads from a 1980's chevy truck, and having them redone. They would have had coolant in them, rather than raw water, therefore cores in much better shape. I don't believe there was much difference in merc's heads, and truck heads back then, other than the valve springs. Valves themselves were the same from what I remember.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

I will be removing a set of peanut port heads this week. Motor ran well last summer. From very clean low hour freshwater boat.I have leak down numbers somewhere, I think This is my spare motor and I have another set for it..
If this helps you out let me know $250 + shipping for the pair (TX). If your boat is indeed a saltwater boat check exhaust/risers and intake manifold under thermostat.
Good Luck
Old 08-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If your in need of a set of heads for the boat Gary is a good guy and knows what he's talking about, and the price is rite.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Registered

Just picked up a head locally for $120, shipping would have been a killer to NY. Thanks tho

Manifold and risers were just replaced, I wish that was the cause of my issues instead of a head lol
Old 08-29-2015, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, the other 3 heads are about to do the same thing. with luck they will hold out a month or so, but don't even THINK about getting another season out of them. the BBC iron head is very thin around the exh valve guides and all rot through over time in salt and fresh water. that is why all sportfish have closed cooling. and as glenamy said, the intake is rotted through also. either get junkyard peanut truck intake or get a nice oval aluminum one to match the heads you are gonna buy over the winter. L29 truck ovals are a nice compression ratio bump and a little more performance. also common, cheap and 20 years newer than the 049-781's which are out there.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 08-29-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 AM
Registered

I already planned on having to replace the others but right now in just trying to finish out the season and get some more use out of the boat. Then when winter comes I can tear it apart. My next question is since the head i just picked up has been sitting for some time how can I check to make sure that the springs and all aren't sticking? My thoughts are to have a machine shop clean it up and if he's suggesting a rebuild, I will have to go that route. Just trying to get use of the summer or what's left of it
Old 08-29-2015, 07:35 AM
Registered

Save yourself headaches down the road and have a shop check them, the initial cost is well worth the peace of mind.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

If your risers were rotted you better check the intake manifold. Just remove the thermostat and I bet you can pock an Ice Pick through the floor of the manifold under the thermostat!
Ndj22, I have a commercial account for shipping and can it done at great rates. Last quote was for complete Bravo 1 @350# on pallet from TX to OH $ 120 and a set of Bolsters from NJ to TX for $220. The shipping will most likely be cheaper than your valve refresh. and much quicker.
Anyways, If you change your mind my heads are ready to run, fully loaded. I also have the intake manifold and complete exhaust from same fresh water boat I will part with. Shipping cost would not change with these additional parts.
Good luck and HAPPY boating.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Registered

That's good pricing will keep in mind! Thanks

Manifolds and risers were fine when I pulled the old ones last month. Boat was in a lake in NJ before me and Indiana before that. So most time in freshwater. Currently looking for a shop to get this head clean and rebuild.
Strange questions but is there supposed to be a hole looking cutout in the corner of the casting? Or did I just buy a dud :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.