Intermittent 525 alarm at idle >

Intermittent 525 alarm at idle

Notices

Intermittent 525 alarm at idle

Old 08-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intermittent 525 alarm at idle

I've got a 2005 Fountain 35 w 525s. Last year I had two occasions where the alarm sounded when, while idling after running the boat at cruising speed and up to operating temperatures, I moved the drive shifter from forward to neutral. It was a steady horn with the port light coming on. I shut down the engines then restarted and had no further alarm. This season I've had 3 occasions as before, the most recent where I was idling from the launch ramp to my dock, about 12 minutes between idle and 1000 rpm. As I put the starboard drive into neutral to turn the boat and back in, the alarm sounded, this time with multiple beeps (I believe 4 or 5) in a evenly spaced cadence with about a 3 second break before starting again. Both starboard & port warning lights were on. I couldn't shut down because I was committed to docking so I monitored my gauges and which indicated normal. The alarm stopped after about 3 or 4 cycles and before I shut off the engines. I had the engine scanned earlier this season and was told there were no codes to be worried about (ie. 1 overheat & 1 over speed which I knew about). I don't have the smartcraft monitor. Again, the alarm has only activated when I've shifted from forward to neutral. Any ideas what may be causing this intermittent alarm?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

you really need to know how many beeps were beeping ? it makes a difference and you need to have the engines scanned again regardless even if they were scanned the day before. New problems can arise 2 minutes or 2 days or 2 months or 2 years later.

Without a scan and someone who knows how to look and read a scan properly it will be a dart throwing contest. .

steady horn

PCM error
crankshaft position sensor problem
engine overheat
low oil pressure
guardian invoked
low seawater pressure
battery volts low or to high
charge temp high
engine overspeed

5 beeps 3 seconds long

IAC
fuel pump failure
coil pack failure
oil temp high
fuel injector failure
MAP sensor

and there is faults for 3 beeps 1.5 seconds long that a different than I posted as well. With that said the number of beeps is important.

Last edited by BUP; 08-30-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks BUP. I meant to count the beeps but the alarm stopped before I focussed on that. I actually thought I heard a series of 4 beeps but can't be certain. I definitely will have both engines scanned again. The common link to all these alarms is that they occurred as soon as I put the drives into neutral. I ran the boat for the rest of the day with no other alarms. Wondering if these engines are known for false alarms?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by greg800le
Thanks BUP. I meant to count the beeps but the alarm stopped before I focussed on that. I actually thought I heard a series of 4 beeps but can't be certain. I definitely will have both engines scanned again. The common link to all these alarms is that they occurred as soon as I put the drives into neutral. I ran the boat for the rest of the day with no other alarms. Wondering if these engines are known for false alarms?
3 beeps, 4 beeps, 10 beeps...the number of beeps and correlating it to a problem is a joke. mercruiser has a laundry list of potential issues even if you knew the number. just my 0.02.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:56 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^ exactly and that's why I posted what beeps fall under the lists. Of course this is just the usual list that can be the potential problem. It basically is the start for anyone going into this blind.

lets take a Mercruiser black engine and I hear 2 beeps then pause and starts all over again - the first place I am looking at is the IAC and if the connection is melted especially if I am out on the water. Odds are in the favor these beeps mean IAC problem but not a 100 %. How about intermittent continuous beeps - the first place and should be only place is to check the drive lube bottle - Just saying and making my point as well.

Last edited by BUP; 08-30-2015 at 09:58 PM.