Oil Question >

Oil Question

Notices

Oil Question

Old 09-10-2015, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Yep. Fresh 15w50 Mystik. After a hard run, oil temp around 190ish, at idle, in gear, oil pressure was 20-25psi. Changed it out, for 20w50 VR1 Synthetic in that engine, same scenerio, oil pressure was 30-35psi.

I have those oil drain hoses that hook to my oil pans. Using my little jabsco drill pump, engines had been sitting for a week, I was able to suck out 9 quarts from the pan, in no time at all. Mystik was coming out like water. had not even 10 hours on it.
curious what changed, suppliers, manufacturing, or what as I remember you touting their oils . At any rate thanks for the updated info, I'll be sticking with the vr1 I guess.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
curious what changed, suppliers, manufacturing, or what as I remember you touting their oils . At any rate thanks for the updated info, I'll be sticking with the vr1 I guess.
Im still running their gear oil in my drives. I believe mystik fluids are citgo.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:30 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

that is correct they are Citgo all made by them. Citgo makes a lot of OEM marine oils as well. More so years ago but still has a lot currently with the OEM marine engine manu's.

The best thing to do with your oil is have an oil analysis done. But you need to check out how well they can do this, so test them.

I have done this in the past, take 2 samples to be sent off to them. Just fill your sample bottles one right after another from the same oil drain. You send one off with your info and have your buddy with a different address and 2 days later send in the other same sample. Guess what do not be surprised if your 2 samples comeback with totally different results. I have done it and the results were not the same - some not even close. . Time to test another analysis company with the same test. The day your oil samples come back exactly the same that's the company you want to use. Test your oil analysis company. Been there, done that.

Last edited by BUP; 09-11-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What position is best to check oil level, on trailer level ground or in water, sitting still? Maybe its 6 and half dozen????
Old 09-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer to check mine in the water. Depending on how the boat sits on the trailer affects the oil level.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Makes sense as Baja customer service rep said static in the water is best time to assess fuel level. So, seems fluid measurements are best taken in the water...since that is the boat's actual/operating environment...
Old 09-13-2015, 07:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

I check the oil level when flat. Then mark the dipstick. This will be a reference for when sitting in the water.

You don't want to add more oil than the pan (flat) disctates. Having the rear (or any) of the crank turning in oil will foam it.

Furthermore, One of the big advantages to having a large capacity oil pan, is so that you can run less than it calls for. Keeps the chance down of submersing the crankshaft.

Last edited by SB; 09-13-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the reasons to blend and recommend a 25W40, it is cheaper to make. You need less polymer to make the oil a multi-viscosity product.

Friction modifiers do not shear, polymers do.

Ken
Old 09-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 4,202 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I check the oil level when flat. Then mark the dipstick. This will be a reference for when sitting in the water.

You don't want to add more oil than the pan (flat) disctates. Having the rear (or any) of the crank turning in oil will foam it.

Furthermore, One of the big advantages to having a large capacity oil pan, is so that you can run less than it calls for. Keeps the chance down of submersing the crankshaft.

Right on the money... after putting 10 qts in my 10 qt pans the oil line was at "add" not "full"