Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build >

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Notices

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Old 09-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Why would changing the sequence pull the threads?
Old 09-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
I have built a 496 8,1 using a Whipple 3.3 kit... It made 900 lbs ft torque and just shy of 900 hp. Replaced the heads with Dart cast iron, cleaned the chambers up, and very little bowl work. Replaced the crank with a 4340 Scat stock stroke forged in the USA , and machined on Scats priority equipment made for the custom cranks this crank was right at $2600. used 6.700 rods and ordered custom pistons from CP, this was a + .005 oversize piston. .990 pin. Used ARP main studs and head studs. MArine Kinetics did the cam. lifters have to be a shrouded type with a .700 wheel or you will dump oil at the wheel slot in lifter , due to the lifter oil galley location.... I used ARP rocker arm studs and locks with Scorpion Endurance rocker arms, this all cleared the valve covers, not using any Loctite on nuts. I used .120" wall pushrods.Timing chain set came from Crane, the most important thing to check is the cam sensor distance .040- .060... do not damage reluctor wheels on crankshaft.. If they are you can order from GM, heat them in the oven and slide them on...
The oil pump is a regular BBC, use a Melling 10770 or 10778. Put a new crank sensor in, no air gap just install set on wheel and tighten bolt.
I tried buying Aluminum heads from Larry@ Raylar, he gave me the runaround, thinking I was friends with his old partner Ray, because of the information I knew on who designed the heads, who cast them and who machined them... There's no doubt in my mind, I would have made more power with the aluminum heads.....Larry, later admitted; to his thoughts on my knowledge after it was too late for me to cancel the Dart heads. There was some secrecy on his part on certain questions I ask relating to pistons and even the oil pump. Being in business, myself I would have answered those questions if ask too me..... I was told some not the truth statements referring to reluctor wheels and locking mechanisms on the rocker arms. I wanted to buy; bare heads with a CNC program porting, no valves or components..Larry, tried to tell me it wouldn't work without his set-up WRONG !!!!!!
Dustin, did all the calibration for this package... we started with a stock crank and decided; the next season we would use the custom so to up boost to 8 psi and not worry about breaking the crank snout off. Scat typically, makes this crank for a 4.500 and 4.750 stroke. I had to machine about .300" off the counter weights to remove the excess weight or the counter-weights would have looked like Swiss Cheese !!!!
so your saying you got 900hp w/ less than 8lbs of boost?
Old 09-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
Make sure you stick to the factory head bolt torque sequence . Our local marina contacted me searching for 496 cores a couple weeks ago. They had a pair of Volvo Penta 8.1's with bad risers ( not the same as Merc stainless Risers) and had to do the heads. On reassembly , old school tech used regular BBC specs and started pulling threads out of the blocks immediately. He thought they were rotted , so he tried other motor and killed that one . Lightweight blocks ?
you may want to recalibrate the tq wrench or were you pulling to the main cap tq?I've never pulled a thread on these blocks and 1 had been rebuilt 7 times.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^ correct and 9 out of 10 times wrong torque is applied because of the operator. Not to go into great lengths here but you can have your snap on guy come out and if all possible bring the torque wrench tester with him. You would be surprise how many techs use a torque wrench wrong. One is you never go past the first click (if click tyoe TW) and stop immediately as soon as the click

I just had a class on this and the testing machine. Not one operator torque was on the money. Everyone was past the torque setting testing it on the machine.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats, correct little shy of 900....the 3.3 Whipple makes the difference..... camshaft, piston dish that was 8:1 cr also 5800 RPMs
Old 09-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
^^^^ correct and 9 out of 10 times wrong torque is applied because of the operator. Not to go into great lengths here but you can have your snap on guy come out and if all possible bring the torque wrench tester with him. You would be surprise how many techs use a torque wrench wrong. One is you never go past the first click (if click tyoe TW) and stop immediately as soon as the click

I just had a class on this and the testing machine. Not one operator torque was on the money. Everyone was past the torque setting testing it on the machine.
also depends on how fast you pull on the handle.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Thats, correct little shy of 900....the 3.3 Whipple makes the difference..... camshaft, piston dish that was 8:1 cr also 5800 RPMs
and approx. how much duration was this cam?
Old 09-20-2015, 11:05 AM
BUP
Banned

Basically what I was talking about with the torque tester as it will show you torque wrench accuracy but most important will show you how the person using it is doing it wrong. This is the same guy who taught the class I was in. Watch how slow he uses these torque wrenches and then quickly releases to achieve the torque setting. He also said anytime a torque audit was done most of the apps had improper torque applied from the operator no matter of torque wrench that was used. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftnNSeBm8y4
Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 AM
BUP
Banned

496 heads not really power makers and really the stock valve springs are not that good for durability especially for increased HP levels.

Dart has some good 8.1 Gen VII products to look at.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
496 heads not really power makers and really the stock valve springs are not that good for durability especially for increased HP levels.

Dart has some good 8.1 Gen VII products to look at.
This is another spread sheet debate. The DART heads look like a good deal but once you buy valves and springs they are more than the Raylar heads. Plus, this debate can go different ways real quick depening on aluminum vs cast heads.

We can start a whole thread on building a DART block 8.1/496 real fast too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.