What happened >

What happened

Notices

What happened

Old 09-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbc25el
Do you run a cross over? IMO 100* of water temp is not enough. I also think you should have water lines from the front to back on the intake manifold.
Yes crossover no stat ran it 3 season that way before the first failure and the previous owner ran it the same way.
Shortly after I got it I installed a restrictor because it had no engine temp when running.
The builder was aware of the water temp and oil temp beforehand started the first rebuild and was comfortable with them.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
Yep! When I had my engine run on the dyno I asked them to put a load on it and run it with a steady state test from 3500 RPM to 4500 RPM. I wanted to make sure we had good A/F numbers in that range, and also wanted to ensure that there would be no oil drainback issues with valley screens installed. While running this way, we saw it go pretty lean and the headers began to glow. If I had simply dropped it in the boat and run it after making several quick pulls on the dyno for WOT power data, I am 100% sure I would have likely melted it down at a fast 4200 RPM cruise.
Good info. This was not done when it was dynoed. I will ask it be done this time.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

yes, and in my case especially since I didn't dyno, I run widebands all the time to keep eye on that stuff...what it does on a dyno and in the boat are 2 different things...in the boat being more important

Originally Posted by Budman II
Yep! When I had my engine run on the dyno I asked them to put a load on it and run it with a steady state test from 3500 RPM to 4500 RPM. I wanted to make sure we had good A/F numbers in that range, and also wanted to ensure that there would be no oil drainback issues with valley screens installed. While running this way, we saw it go pretty lean and the headers began to glow. If I had simply dropped it in the boat and run it after making several quick pulls on the dyno for WOT power data, I am 100% sure I would have likely melted it down at a fast 4200 RPM cruise.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How much timing are you running in this engine ?

Inconel or not, if mixture is lean, or timing to far retarded, or very narrow seat widths,, the exhaust temps can get out of hand real quick, and the valve can fail.

My guess, and its just that, a guess, is that the mixture is too lean, and possibly not enough timing. Many guys think timing is a tool for reducing power, adding safety margin, etc, but it is not. Its simply a point at which the plug should be fired for optimal combustion. There are many factors involved to what that number may be.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

yes, many guys think less timing is safe, not always the case... we used to retard timing to make EGT higher to get out street cars past emissions....

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

Inconel or not, if mixture is lean, or timing to far retarded, or very narrow seat widths,, the exhaust temps can get out of hand real quick, and the valve can fail.

My guess, and its just that, a guess, is that the mixture is too lean, and possibly not enough timing. Many guys think timing is a tool for reducing power, adding safety margin, etc, but it is not. Its simply a point at which the plug should be fired for optimal combustion. There are many factors involved to what that number may be.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
yes, many guys think less timing is safe, not always the case... we used to retard timing to make EGT higher to get out street cars past emissions....
Yep. Too much timing is a good way to fail emissions tests
Old 09-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

38 degrees at 4k. I'll check the paper work but I believe that was it. He gave me the number and insisted I check it and set with my ignition box which I did.

Last edited by the mayor; 09-21-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you ck the AFR's with a wideband on the boat ? looks like it ran lean as hell to me...that just happened to be the 1st cyl to say I'm out or here...
Old 09-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
looks a little lean compared to the other cylinders.to much heat will stick that valve..could also come down to water flow thru the cylinder head.2 engines down,,something in the set up is amiss.
i am wondering how you say it looks lean compared to the other cylinders.i only see one exhaust port in the picture.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Registered

All exhaust port looked the same. The camera flash makes it look different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.