Broken output shaft & coupler >

Broken output shaft & coupler

Notices

Broken output shaft & coupler

Old 09-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken output shaft & coupler

Hello again everyone. I having a problem with breaking the Mercruiser output shaft 93906A 2. I need something
stronger. The first one I replaced was twisted and the 2nd was just a few days ago and it completely broke and
spun the coupler. So my question is does anyone know of a stronger shaft for sale or a shop that can make one thatI'm not going to snap off?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2015, 08:43 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,812 Likes on 902 Posts

That shaft is not usually a weak link. I would think you'd be breaking vertical shafts first.
I think you might have an alignment issue.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet that your engine is moving around - That is the only way I see you breaking a shaft and blowing the coupling.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

I've had a prop shaft and a vertical shaft break....never have broke an input shaft....neither of these are near a robust as the input shaft.....like what everyone else is saying, you have something wrong alignment wise
Old 09-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Registered

I have IMCO SCX 4's on the boat I don't think they would break before that stock output shaft. I also have front and rear motor plates so I can't imagine it's moving around but I had not thought to check that. As far as alignment I wouldn't think it could be off that much, the output shaft bolts to a flange with a universal joint. If the alignment was off that bad I would think the universal joint on either end of the driveshaft would break. I really think I'm just over powering the stock shaft.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1,320 Likes on 737 Posts

How much power?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
How much power?
It right at 1,000hp per engine.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:44 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the shaft breaking? I also believe it is an alignment issue. If it was mine that is what I would check first.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,812 Likes on 902 Posts

With a 1000hp and running SCX's, the input shaft may have well become the weak link.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
Where is the shaft breaking? I also believe it is an alignment issue. If it was mine that is what I would check first.
The shaft is breaking in the splines outside the coupler.

This is the reason I don't think it's an alignment issue, and please let me know if I'm not looking at this the right way. On the back of the bell housing is a bearing that this shaft rides in, that is bolted to the engine. The driveshaft hooks to that output shaft with a universal joint. It is not mounted to the boat but to the motor so if the motor moves it will move with the motors. On the other end of the driveshaft is another universal joint and a bearing that the input shaft from the drive goes into. So my thoughts are with the 2 universal joints in between the motor and the drive even if the alignment was off a little it wouldn't matter.
Thank you for your input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.