Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Back yard engine builders. >

Back yard engine builders.

Notices

Back yard engine builders.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Sometimes you buy all the right parts, tighten every nut to perfection, and even check the lifter bore clearances, but...
Old 09-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

C10 cat, I hate it when I can't find a wrench...
Old 09-28-2015, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

"HEY!!!! There's that 7/16" wrench I was missing"

It's the small stuff that kills you!

I had a buddy who purchased 2 new engines from Innovation. Messing with them, he wanted to add nitrous, so he buys this beautiful "rack" of stainless tubes with gas lines and nitrous lines all perfectly bent add fuel and nitrous to each port and attached them to equally beautiful fittings into the intake runners. It was awesome......except.......he didn't tighten 2 of the rear nitrous fittings on one motor and the vibration made them come off during a hard pass, went super lean in two holes and poof!!! Mucho dinero down the toilet.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:15 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

There's a time and a place for alcohol.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
There's a time and a place for alcohol.
LOL

There's more than one horror story of brand new motors going toast due to the wrong $12 bypass valve.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I. Hilt my first two motors last winter. I'm still nervous and constantly find myself listening to very perceived weird noise...
Old 09-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

God knows how many I have built and I still get a little nervous/anxious the first time I fire them, especially on the first dyno pull. And the day that the nervous/anxious feeling goes away is the day that I quit doing it. That nervous/anxious feeling is what keeps me on my toes and makes sure that I take my time and do it right.
Eddie
Old 09-29-2015, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter how diligent you are, things do happen. We're human and so are the people who make the parts. My current boat engine I had 3 of the 5 bolts holding the oil pump bottom cover back out. Thankfully I noticed the oil pressure drop, so I backed off and was near the ramp. Idled in with 10 lbs pressure.

This was with a well known US made performance oil pump - a brand I've used many times with no issue. It had never been disassembled, so they were not tq'ed from the factory correctly. Must've been made on a Monday or Tuesday.

I've added one more thing to the list to double-check.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Registered

I'm in the middle of my 502 efi build right now. I've built several engines in the past and even worked in a engine machine shop for a few years. This build just seems to be fighting me every step of the way. I'm not going to lie, I always get a little nervous/excited when firing them up for the first time! I can't wait to hear that sweet music the first time I turn the key.(hopefully)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Sometimes you buy all the right parts, tighten every nut to perfection, and even check the lifter bore clearances, but...
Classic Budweiser performance mod....then again these day's that could be just a Bud finish....

Last edited by Pliant; 09-29-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.