Back yard engine builders. >

Back yard engine builders.

Notices

Back yard engine builders.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Back yard engine builders.

Those of you that build your own engines. Do you get nervous when you turn the key on a new build for the first time? I have never built an engine using as many exotic parts as this engine ( 598 CI ) 8.6 to 1, Dart BIG M block, Dart 357 CNC heads, Crower crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, TOTAL SEAL rings, BOB Madera solid roller cam, JESEL belt drive and Pro shaft rockers.
Turned the key tonight for the first time on this new engine.
This project took a LOT longer than I thought it would.
It takes a lot of time to rerig a boat. I have been rebuilding, relocating and neatening up everything.
WOW.

I didn't have the drive installed and no water going to the seawater pump so I just started it and shut it off.
I can't wait to hear it idle.
I will try to post a video.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 106 Likes on 51 Posts

I did the 2 engines in my Sonic. Nothing exotic sorta 500HP clones. My engine shop guy came to my house to degree cams and oversee my assembly techniques. About 50hrs later they still are running strong and I smile every time I fire them up. I stop by his shop every now and then to thank him for his help and see if he is OK. Wont be long he'll be retiring.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have built quite a few engines in my life just never from scratch. Always started with an engine and added aftermarket parts to make it better. I have the machine shop do all of the machining and I put it together. Degreeing in a cam really isn't that hard with the right tools. It doesn't take that many tools if the machine shop does everything right. I do have a ton of tools though to do it right.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always a little nervous and very excited. Reminds me of night before christmas when we were kids.

Nothing like something you built coming to life.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I built my 489 myself. Did most of my clearance checks myself, but had some of the more difficult checks like lifter bore clearance checked by a local machine shop. It was a long, drawn out learning experience, as many here on OSO will attest. I ran mine on a test stand that I built myself before I had it dynoed. If you think you get nervous on that first start-up, wait until you hear it spooled up on the dyno that first time at 6000 RPM!

Jury is still out since I haven't had a chance to run it very much. I still get nervous every time I open it up - I have a whole lot more invested in this rig than in other engines I have built.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Registered

Doesnt matter who builds them when you get humans involved there is going to be trouble !
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Yup, I always get nervous on the first full pull...
https://youtu.be/0ElKvUC_4v4
https://youtu.be/aw3QEvfEhTM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545786[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Back yard engine builders.-95mph.jpg  

Last edited by Panther; 09-28-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

You can't help but get nervous!!! All that money, time, thinking and rethinking all boils down to the turn of the key!!! It's part of the excitement!!
In fact, I don't relax until they have like 10 hours on them, then I believe all the parts like each other and are going to play nice!!! LOL!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I took my 454 Mag's and rebuilt the whole upper end, rebuilt the stock heads, cams, push rods, valve springs, roller rockers now, timing chain, carbs and intakes. Very nervous the first time I turned the key but as said above it is Christmas morning every time I hear them run! I might have 40ish hours on them and running strong with zero issues.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:54 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know if it's nervous or excited, maybe a combination of the 2, nothing like choosing your own parts and actually having them work. Best of luck with your new motor !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.