Adjusting Morel lifters revisited >

Adjusting Morel lifters revisited

Notices

Adjusting Morel lifters revisited

Old 10-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adjusting Morel lifters revisited

My 489 has the Morel hyd roller lifters in it, and after doing some searches on here, I am well aware that these can sometimes be a little noisy, especially before the oil has heated up. When I adjusted them the first time with the engine build, I took them a little over a full turn after zero lash. Still, I have one or two that just sound overly noisy to me, even after the oil is up to 180* plus. This weekend I am thinking about checking things out just to be sure, and I thought I might try to identify the noisy ones and re-adjust them to see if I can get them to quiet down. My question is, what is the best way to approach this, and what procedure should I follow? I pretty much will have to run it with the valve cover off to identify the culprit, and I have an old stamped steel cover that has the top cut off of it to hopefully contain most of the mess. Once I identify the noisy one(s), should I adjust by backing off the nut and then tighten down until it quiets down, or is it better to adjust it with the engine shut down?

Anyone have a good procedure for both methods?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Once you back them off and tighten them down till they stop ticking while it's running you will have to put your preload on them.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Change the oil, put 5-20 or similar in it, let it run for 20 min. The thin oil will bleed all the air out. I had to do this on a 500efi I did the top end on. I never thought it would work but it did
Old 10-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Registered

I'm running 15W40 in it now. Unlimited, did you also have to get the oil up to operating temp when you did this to get the lifters to quiet down?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Registered

BTW, this engine has about 25 hours on it now. It has had one oil change already.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

1 Full turn sounds like to much. According to the website and the thread pitch on my studs, I only turn them 5/8. I'm running Amsoil 15w-50 Dominator and my lifters are very quiet even on start up. It could be that I have a pre-oiler from Master-Lube that I use religiously. I would start checking your valve train for other issues. As a matter of fact the valve train on my BBC with a .623 lift is quieter than my wife's Northstar.

The technique I use, is to back off the rocker nuts and rotate the engine to allow the lifters to fully expand and then run through the firing order. I hand tighten the nuts until the push rods are hard to turn between my fingers and then add the 5/8 of a rotation. The lifters will compress down so the next run through the firing order I check the push rods to make sure they are not loose but still turn by hand. That way you make sure you haven't over compressed them or missed one altogether.

Last edited by ThisIsLivin; 10-02-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I'm running 15W40 in it now. Unlimited, did you also have to get the oil up to operating temp when you did this to get the lifters to quiet down?
The engines ran for about 5 hours very noisy with amsoil 15-50, changed to the 5-20 or 5-30 I forget and let it idle at the dock, I believe it was 6 or 8 minutes and the noise was gone
Old 10-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the 4603 morels in my engines. I adjust them to 1 full turn past zero lash. Very little noise. With less than that, they were a little noisier . Have ran nothing but 20w50 in them the past 4 years.

Same on icdedpples Hi Rev lifters. 1 turn past zero, his are quiet as well. Hes ran 15w50, 20w50, and straight 50 in his engines.

I adjust them by turning engine till exhaust valve just starts to open , and do that cylinders intake valve. Rotate again, and watch the intake valve open, and when it begins to close, i will adjust the exhaust on that cylinder. I do one cylinder at a time.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've ran the Morel Hi-Rpms with sae 30,40,50 also 20/50. Never any noises. I've ran them with .000 .010 lash 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 turn. I know Morel has a bulletin that says one full turn but I just could never see it. I never had any type of noise from the lifters. I did however soak them (can't remember what wt.) a few days before assembly.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

My old SBC 4602 Morels were 1 turn. No problems. New lifters, soak for a day. Fire and run to operating temp. Shutdown and relash. Never have to adjust after unless the rockers come off.

Last edited by Ryan00TJ; 10-03-2015 at 09:45 AM.