gpm of water to run a mercruiser on hose

Notices

gpm of water to run a mercruiser on hose

Old 10-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Edelbrock 91177: Edelbrock QwikData 2 8-Channel Wideband Air Fuel Ratio Monitor I have to configure the dyno to read it going to take some work.
How many channels does your dyno software support? Talking with Norm today his software only has 2 channels for o2 sensors so we are hashing that out before I pull trigger on 02 sensors. I looked at that edelbrock stuff this weekend online, I see its about 2200$ for the setup and 800 for the sensors, is there something else that you need from them to make it work, it wasnt real clear reading about it, just part numbers and prices, thanks, Smitty
Old 10-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty is your shop in the Frankenmuth area? It would be great to have a dyno close by to do pulls on before and after mods
Old 10-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
How many channels does your dyno software support? Talking with Norm today his software only has 2 channels for o2 sensors so we are hashing that out before I pull trigger on 02 sensors. I looked at that edelbrock stuff this weekend online, I see its about 2200$ for the setup and 800 for the sensors, is there something else that you need from them to make it work, it wasnt real clear reading about it, just part numbers and prices, thanks, Smitty
Im not up and running but I believe I can use other channels on the dyno and can be configured to do all of the O2 sensors. One other thin that might work for you would maybe be a holley dominator ecu it will log 8 O2 sensors.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smitty, I run a 1600 gallon underground water tank so that I only need (1) 10HP delivery pump with gravity feed back to tank. I made provisions for a water cooling tower when I built it but never needed it. I am also looking into running 8 additional 02's with readouts for tuning standalone keeping the bank to bank 02's and EGT's tied to the acquisition system.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I've Installed several Dynos (Supflow, Froude , AVL , Sakor among others ) and if they were water brakes . We would put a 1200-1500 gallon concrete septic tank box in the ground , with gravity return for the brake water . Then would pump it up, to an above ground , 2500 gallon tank to return to dyno cell. We use the water for both engine cooling and brake water. If it was me .... I would use an electric pump for engine cooling water and leave off the RWP. We also used the Innovative 02 sensors with analog output to the Data AQ .
Old 10-20-2015, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rexcramer1
Smitty is your shop in the Frankenmuth area? It would be great to have a dyno close by to do pulls on before and after mods
Between Frankenmuth and Vassar, 3 miles east of Richville. We are on google as smittyseng in Vassar, our main work we do is building and upgrading transmissions and rear ends, we also do some general machine work , welding and fabrication (not engine machine work) in our machine and fab shop. I build a few motors a year for customers besides my own builds, do some efi tuning on cars and boats, and now plan on doing some dyno work. There are already quite a few places doing dyno work in the area so it would be hard to get much ROI so we are glad to not have to spend 50 k on a dyno and another 25 to 50 for a cell , support equipment etc and we will be happy to dyno customers motors but will be using mostly for our own stuff we build. I have been on quite a few dynos in past 20 years but have never been the operator BUT my partner who owns the dyno has been dynoing for 20 plus years, Smitty
Old 10-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by brian41
Smitty, I run a 1600 gallon underground water tank so that I only need (1) 10HP delivery pump with gravity feed back to tank. I made provisions for a water cooling tower when I built it but never needed it. I am also looking into running 8 additional 02's with readouts for tuning standalone keeping the bank to bank 02's and EGT's tied to the acquisition system.
Thats pretty much what Mark R told me too, we just put down 80 yards of concrete drive last year near the building where tank would have to go so not in a hurry to tear it up, I have a loading dock next to shop I could get bulldozed away next spring to place a tank if we go that route though, thanks Brian, Smitty
Old 10-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
I've Installed several Dynos (Supflow, Froude , AVL , Sakor among others ) and if they were water brakes . We would put a 1200-1500 gallon concrete septic tank box in the ground , with gravity return for the brake water . Then would pump it up, to an above ground , 2500 gallon tank to return to dyno cell. We use the water for both engine cooling and brake water. If it was me .... I would use an electric pump for engine cooling water and leave off the RWP. We also used the Innovative 02 sensors with analog output to the Data AQ .
Good info, Thanks, Smitty
Old 10-21-2015, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We cut a 6 x 14 hole in the shop floor next to the cell, dug down about 8 feet and dropped in a tank. We cemented over it that way it is easy to service and no fear of freezing. It also has a sump pump and fill system to keep the water at level, before adding that I had a few times with closed cooling systems where we overfilled the tank making a water mess in the shop.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
A standard fire ground stream is a 2 1/2" line 200' long, flowing through a 1 1/8" nozzle bore 250 Gpm @ 80 psi. The trucks pump is typically 1250 Gpm @ 150 psi, 885 @ 200 psi, 625 @ 250 if it is a 2 stage pump like the one I'm working on right now.
Actually it's a little over 300 gpm using 29.7 ( constant) x diameter (squared) x the square root of the discharge pressure.