Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Price to have motors pulled? >

Price to have motors pulled?

Notices

Price to have motors pulled?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapped grade 80 chain around 3 timesthen hung chain hoist. first motor out then unwrap chain, move over other engine and rewrap chain. I built this as modular as possible so easy to dis/ass. Only help needed is to pick it up to its upright position.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 409 Likes on 182 Posts

I made mine out of 3" and 2.5" square tube. The 2.5 " slides into the 3" so I can adjust it from 8' to 13' I used a 6" aluminum I beam on top with a trolley, I have 9' in between the posts.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Anyone on here build there own gantry for engine pulling, I remember seeing a wooden one but I'd prefer steel when the time comes, actually like to pull it just to check everything outand cean up bilge.
I built one out of wood for about $120 in lumber. Most of the steel ones were A) too expensive for my limited use, and B) not high enough for my removal. I need 12 feet of overhead and that was barely enough to clear the oil pan over the transom.

The gantry didn't flinch when the motor was lifted. When I was done with the removal and install I chopped up the wood and used it in the fire pit.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My pole barn has a little over 11-feet overhead clearance, and I reinforced one of the trusses by sandwiching several 2x6's and also supported it with a post halfway across the span. Wrapped a heavy logging chain around it and attached a chain hoist, and up she went. It was pretty close rolling the boat out from under it. Had to go backwards first to allow the hatch to be closed, then forward to get the boat out from under it. I held my breath a little bit while the engine was hanging ten feet in the air.

Another thing that helped was outlining the exact position of the trailer tires on the garage floor. That allowed me to back it into almost the exact same spot, which made it much easier to reinstall the engine.

You will need to measure to see if you need more overhead clearance. If my boat was a little taller, or even if I had larger trailer tires, not sure if it would have worked.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
My pole barn has a little over 11-feet overhead clearance, and I reinforced one of the trusses by sandwiching several 2x6's and also supported it with a post halfway across the span. Wrapped a heavy logging chain around it and attached a chain hoist, and up she went. It was pretty close rolling the boat out from under it. Had to go backwards first to allow the hatch to be closed, then forward to get the boat out from under it. I held my breath a little bit while the engine was hanging ten feet in the air.

Another thing that helped was outlining the exact position of the trailer tires on the garage floor. That allowed me to back it into almost the exact same spot, which made it much easier to reinstall the engine.

You will need to measure to see if you need more overhead clearance. If my boat was a little taller, or even if I had larger trailer tires, not sure if it would have worked.
I have 12 feet on the bottom of the rafters , pole building as well so I actually have probably 16 in the middle openings. Locating the trailer precisely is the key as you said so there is no armstronging it back into place.
how much clearance approximately does one need? Eyeballing mine looks like about 6and a half feet to the the rafter .
Old 10-11-2015, 02:13 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Used my Harbor Fright gantry about many times now. Paid for it's self a hundred times over.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatguy66
Closer to $2k with no issues!
That's what I paid to have mine puller and replaced. Then another couple hundred per drive to have everything checked out.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have suggestions on who else I can call around the Conroe area? Byron pulled one and its being rebuilt at Nickens brothers right now and I'm about to have other one pulled. Yesterday he said it was 750 out per and 750 back in per, thats 3k to remove and re-install two small block 350's

I could have swore that he made it clear that it was 750 in and out per side for 1500 to remove and install both.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

What does the paper work say ??
Old 02-09-2016, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

post #6 on 10-9-15 you acknowledge 750 out and 750 in per motor ..I think that is high but you were aware of it as of 10-9-15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.