MEFI 3 (16237009) vs MEFI 3 (16236999) help needed >

MEFI 3 (16237009) vs MEFI 3 (16236999) help needed

Notices

MEFI 3 (16237009) vs MEFI 3 (16236999) help needed

Old 10-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Eddie! I actually tried to call you today lol
Anyhow if I'm understanding you right even though it may have been on a different engine can I take this Ecm that most likely has the wrong calibration and have it reprogrammed for my engine spec? - I plan on sending the ECM to OBD (bob) who has assured me he can program for my engine.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Gold Member

Can the ECM be re calibrated and also is that the same as asking can it be reprogrammed? Or is calibrating different from programming
Old 10-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Trimixx
Can the ECM be re calibrated and also is that the same as asking can it be reprogrammed? Or is calibrating different from programming
Recalibrated/reprogrammed is the same thing. Basically there is a file (.bin file, or binary file) that has all the data for fuel, timing etc. etc. that goes to specific memory addresses and the ECM accesses that data based on sensor input (MAP, rpm, coolant temp, throttle position etc.) Its really quite simple and eloquent at the same time. All you do is upload/flash the file to memory if needed.

Bob should be able to help you.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Eddie! I actually tried to call you today lol
Anyhow if I'm understanding you right even though it may have been on a different engine can I take this Ecm that most likely has the wrong calibration and have it reprogrammed for my engine spec? - I plan on sending the ECM to OBD (bob) who has assured me he can program for my engine.
Sorry, I am on a cruise ship right now. Won't be back in the shop until Monday. But to answer your question, yes you can take the ecm and just load another cal in it. Bob can load the cal without erasing the ecm and the hours will remain (whatever amount the engine had that the ecm was removed from ) or he can recover (wipe clean/erase) the ecm and then load the cal. This will start the hours over at 0. You can not put in your current amount of hours.
Wddie
Old 10-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

Guys thank you thank you thank you
I really appreciate your timely responses and awesome information it has helped me out a ton! Can't wait to finally be back on the water. This has clarified everything I needed to know to move forward and get this damn part fixed already! You guys are the best thanks again!

And don't be sorry man - enjoy your vacation brother
Old 10-15-2015, 06:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been busy and got ur message now. Different engines have different CALS. example a Mercruiser inboard engine of the same year and the same CID does not have the same CAL as an I/O. the same goes for freshwater cooled to closed cooling. And the same for engine CID and year engine all the same but one has an alpha outdrive and one has a Bravo outdrive the cals will be slightly different to more different. I was posting examples of the MEFI 3 and some of the difference between the ECM's and as to why.

Anyways if you can buy a used ECM very cheap enough and have it recal to work for your app then do it but it has to be cheap enough because some of the recalls are not as cheap as you think nor an 100 % exact fit for your app. Especially doing it over the phone and mail. .

Asking was your Sea Max an Inboard engine crate app installed in an I/O app ?

If I recall correctly Seamax was PCM / Crusader Brand ?

Last edited by BUP; 10-15-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BUP
I have been busy and got ur message now. Different engines have different CALS. example a Mercruiser inboard engine of the same year and the same CID does not have the same CAL as an I/O. the same goes for freshwater cooled to closed cooling. And the same for engine CID and year engine all the same but one has an alpha outdrive and one has a Bravo outdrive the cals will be slightly different to more different. I was posting examples of the MEFI 3 and some of the difference between the ECM's and as to why.

Anyways if you can buy a used ECM very cheap enough and have it recal to work for your app then do it but it has to be cheap enough because some of the recalls are not as cheap as you think nor an 100 % exact fit for your app. Especially doing it over the phone and mail. .

Asking was your Sea Max an Inboard engine crate app installed in an I/O app ?

If I recall correctly Seamax was PCM / Crusader Brand ?
You are correct good sir.
Its a inboard Sea Maxx product made by PCM / Crusader but I am not so familiar with mechanics so I am unsure if there is an I/O app installed or not. (sorry mechanic terminology is lackluster for me)
My good friend has actually found this part at a junkyard nearby and the guy only asked $150 - My friend put it in the boat and it fired right up! but then it choked out and wouldn't stay running so he brought that ECM back to the junkyard and apologized explaining sadly it did not work out (the owner was kind and let him bring it back) then through my research and trying to find information on it I found this website (offshoreonly) and noticed people were looking / selling these ECM's specifically MEFI 3 16237009 and 16236999 so as I hit every dead end on the internet not finding the help I needed I got so much help from people here and as everyone clarified this part and its inner workings to me I realized .....holy fukn ****....my friend had the ECM in his hands! (the one from the junkyard) and all it needed was to be re-calibrated! because he said he knows for a FACT that the model number on it was 16236999 So hopefully tomorrow morning when we go to check this junkyard place again the owner will still have it - if not then I bite the bullet and pay $400 to another person who's selling it online here and then another $200 to Bob over at OBD to have it recalibrated ...still beats $1500 for a "new" one.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

My good friend has actually found this part at a junkyard nearby and the guy only asked $150 - My friend put it in the boat and it fired right up! but then it choked out and wouldn't stay running so he brought that ECM back to the junkyard and apologized explaining sadly it did not work out (the owner was kind and let him bring it back)
Even if the MEFI 3 ECM didn't work on your engine model but it possibly works in general... then for $150.00 you could see if Bob is willing to test it and if all good sell it online for enough money to recoup some of your losses from your adventure mentioned above.
At one point there was a high enough demand for the older ECM's that even Mercruiser was asking for them to be returned for internal dealer credit. Maybe even Bob could use it/make a deal with you for possibly another future OSO forum customer. Just some thoughts is all, good luck.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Gold Member

The junkyard still had the ECM and we were able to grab it! Next step overnight this baby to mr. Bob over at OBD and sit n wait for its return.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:03 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

what junk yard - Boats and where ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.