How many hours on bigger power stuff? >

How many hours on bigger power stuff?

Notices

How many hours on bigger power stuff?

Old 10-17-2015, 08:55 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Piston top designs vary greatly between high compression and 'boosted' lower compression motors, especially an engine that has a large combustion chamber. Think BBC and even worse Hemi.

You are lighting the fire before a piston comes up to tdc, and the closer the piston top comes to the top, these big domes can create some bad issues including, creating partial and then multiple combustion areas, places for fuel to hide, and etc, etc. Dome designs today are far better for making power by addressing these concerns, but will still have flame propagation and combustion issues compared to a flat top or dish.

Oh, one last other issue with N/A especially domes/large domes is during tdc in overlap, it can block the exhaust valve from the intake, cutting down on the time and quality of 'pull' your exhaust can help the intake.

So again, less dome/lack of dome/etc helps alleviate many issues for many different motor designs. However, you need compression for power.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You built this engine probably what, around 10 years ago? I think its pretty awesome, to make that kind of power, and go 50 hours, let alone 150 hours. The low end torque that engine made was insane.
nice pics,,I like how theres nothing coming out of the breathers,,good to see someone can plumb a dry sump oiling system.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
nice pics,,I like how theres nothing coming out of the breathers,,good to see someone can plumb a dry sump oiling system.
Who doesnt? Are you saying no dry sump setups have valve cover breathing ?
Old 10-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

Are you saying no dry sump setups have valve cover breathing ?
nope,they can
Old 10-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Looking at all the bigger marine builders it seems the trend is more cubes. I would imagine a 572ci@6# would possibly live longer than a 540@8psi and they both be close in power?

It`s time for my rebuilds, I`m trying to decide which route would be best bang for the buck. New pistons and rods are in my future probably anyway so what do you do on a 540 bow tie block?
I`d like to go bigger cubes and less boost. 565ci. keep the 4.250 crank or 572ci. New crank?

Sell my stuff buy Dart M block ( i don`t think the budget is there for that unless my math is wrong)

Never been down this road any advice is appreciated
Could you give us a complete run down of what you have currently? If I remember correctly you are not running chillers, did you ever record what IAT is on your current setup?
Old 10-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Registered

Looking at all the bigger marine builders it seems the trend is more cubes. I would imagine a 572ci@6# would possibly live longer than a 540@8psi and they both be close in power?

It`s time for my rebuilds, I`m trying to decide which route would be best bang for the buck. New pistons and rods are in my future probably anyway so what do you do on a 540 bow tie block?
I`d like to go bigger cubes and less boost. 565ci. keep the 4.250 crank or 572ci. New crank?

Sell my stuff buy Dart M block ( i don`t think the budget is there for that unless my math is wrong)

Never been down this road any advice is appreciated

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Could you give us a complete run down of what you have currently? If I remember correctly you are not running chillers, did you ever record what IAT is on your current setup?

Old 10-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered

Compression test done on port engine today.

#1=150psi #2=155psi
#3=147psi #4=152psi
#5=145psi #6=150psi
#7=155psi #8=152psi

Did leakdown test. Particular leakdown tester showed 15-20% leakage on all cylinders. Not sure on the accuracy of this particular Napa tester. First gauge on leakdown tester, was set/regulated to 100psi. When hooked to cylinder, leakage would show 20%. But gauge would drop from 100, to 90psi. My old leakdown tester had two psi gauges. If you set it to 100psi on first gauge, and second gauge read 90psi, you had 10% leakdown, if second gauge read 80psi, you had 20% leakdown. I may get a new tester, and retest.

However, no leakage at all at the valves. Any leakage was past rings. Looking into cylinders with borescope, crosshatch pattern on cylinder walls, looks like the day they were honed.

PS, Matt, Dan/icdedppl's Intake air temps, are like 150ish WOT full boost if I recall.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

PS, Matt, Dan/icdedppl's Intake air temps, are like 150ish WOT full boost if I recall.
I knew you would bite

Sorry, I won't derail your thread anymore.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Registered

If you don`t like my leakdown tester then you can`t use it anymore AND I`m gonna derail your thread.

Maybe I~ll bore it to 4.560 new flat top pistons leave the stroke as is. My best own idea yet.

EDIT: or new crank and bore it out and flat top pistons .. 1000hp.
Your engine is fine, its your leakdown tester that needs an overhaul!

And you better not be playing with my beaker while I am gone.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 10-17-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 4,255 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Default wow no feedback

Nobody`s ever built a 555 or 565 or 572 here I guess , ok. Too bad Bob doesn`t build short blocks I`d have 7 pages of replies... wait wait no I don`t want that either.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 10-18-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.