Reality check for repair quote

Notices

Reality check for repair quote

Old 10-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reality check for repair quote

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone here could help me make a reality check on a repair quote; I have a problem with my 5.7 EFI/Bravo 3 setup in my 2005 Monterey. The water intake is clogged, or to be more precise the aluminum around the hose is corroded. This made me fry a few valves, so I have 2 cylinders with zero compression. The engine is mounted far back in the boat, so I think it would be very hard to remove heads while the engine is in the boat.

I have found a new repair guy, which was recommended to me. He quoted 18 hours at $85 per hour, for pulling engine and drive, recondition heads, fix water intake. He will leave the heads to a machine shop costing $225 each. Total repair is $2600 including tax.

It sounds reasonable to me, but I thought I should ask before I accept. Any ideas?

Regards,

Johan
Old 10-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

is that total,,no more.then its kinda far.hard to pull engines when there stuffed in there and then you have to hope they left enough room up front to pull them.otherwise,your stripping the front of the engine too.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

maybe a pic of your engine compartment would help us.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:35 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

99 % rec boats / production boats to pull a single engine cost for the R & R engine is $500 to $1200 MAX and that is on the very high side. Regardless and depending on labor rate. My guess for your app should be 600 to 800 max per 85 an hour

What inlet is clogged and does the engine really have to be pulled ?

The 85 per hour is very fair and somewhat cheap by current standards plus especailly for being in Florida & saltwater apps.

Last edited by BUP; 10-18-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I don't know how he can fully and accurately quote that repair to the engine without it being taken apart.

The 18 hours of labor for the job sounds about right though.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the Op has said engine is far back in the boat . (I'm assuming under back deck like some of this newer stuff ) They are pulling motor so they don't have to send a trained monkey in to pull the heads .Also, since it is a Bravo boat with a crushed hose because of corrosion ,I will assume it is the dreaded Bravo hose transom plate crush. (which could also require pulling engine)
I'm with Griff on how does he know for sure the extent of engine problems until heads are off...Price for the described work sounds fair to me .It could creep once the heads are off
Originally Posted by BUP
99 % rec boats / production boats to pull a single engine cost for the R & R engine is $500 to $1200 MAX and that is on the very high side. Regardless and depending on labor rate. My guess for your app should be 600 to 800 max per 85 an hour

What inlet is clogged and does the engine really have to be pulled ?

The 85 per hour is very fair and somewhat cheap by current standards plus especailly for being in Florida & saltwater apps.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I was only talking about pulling a single engine . and drive then the reinstall for a price. I was not adding anything else into the mix. I would have not quoted a final price till the engine got disassembled and heads at least looked at first as well.

The reason i only posted engine / drive removed & reinstalled pricing. Tough call to pin point any exact pricing over the net without hands / eyes and ears on it in person.

The hardest rec boat to pull an engine that i have ever done was a I/O Hurricane deck boat. Almost impossible to pull out even after you removed alot of engine parts beforehand.

95 % of the rec boats you can remove the engine / sunpad hatch and turn the engine sideways to pull it out.

Last edited by BUP; 10-18-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the 6-8 hundred was only talking engine r&r ,but you didn't make it clear .I do know it is different prices in different parts of the country .Possibly having to do with the length of their boating season .I agree the op won't get a good estimate til engine is out with heads off. That's why I said the price may well creep..
Just reread your post you did say 6-8 for just r&r
Old 10-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Wait tell they get into the rusty rear engine mount / transom plate bolts that have to be torched off.

Been there done that.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, very appreciated. Yes it has the dreaded "Bravo Decease", or at least that is the only thing left to check. On many boats this can be fixed at least temporarily from inside the boat, but this boat has the engine under the swim platform so there is no way to reach down under. I was hoping it could be fixed from the outside with drive off, but according to the mechanic this isnt the case.

He quoted me based on the compression test he performed, which show #4 and #6 with zero compression. I do understand that there might be other problems, but I would be surprised. I would say it is 98 % burned valves due to overheating. 2 % risk the rings or pistons have pinged to pieces...

This is a good guy but since I have no idea about US pricing I wanted to check with you experts. Your answers where very appreciated!!

Regards,

Johan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.