Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Melling 10778 oil pump question >

Melling 10778 oil pump question

Notices

Melling 10778 oil pump question

Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a lot of T&D rockers with the spring oilers and also installed piston oilers on same motors...never had oil pressure issues. IMO the 10778 is a good upgrade. On "car" engines where we run 5/30 oil and tight clearances, I use standard volume pumps and never have oil pressure issues. We're talking 950+hp n/a engines that can see 7500+.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:32 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^ Horsepower1 - I am not asking in anyway or any form from a negative stand point here but I have looked at some of your posts and would like ask who are you and are you an engine builder, along with have you built many engines for the marine side and or marine specific. Again this is not a dig in any form of negative asking. It seems you know alot here about the internal side of engines. If you would like (want to) my PM has some open spots up here if you are willing to give out that info. If not I understand as well.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Thought it was a 10778C pump at first. They have their own set of issues.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
^^^ Horsepower1 - I am not asking in anyway or any form from a negative stand point here but I have looked at some of your posts and would like ask who are you and are you an engine builder, along with have you built many engines for the marine side and or marine specific. Again this is not a dig in any form of negative asking. It seems you know alot here about the internal side of engines. If you would like (want to) my PM has some open spots up here if you are willing to give out that info. If not I understand as well.
look up his previous posts. Its all there
Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pros and cons of the 10778 vs the 10778c ? I know the 10778 is high volume standard pressure and the 10778c is high volume high pressure.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

The C is anti cavitation.
Good pump but be aware that due to the anti cavitation veining in the body at idle your motor will have low oil pressure. Around 10psi @ 800rpms for me with 2 motors this oil pump is used in. Pop the gas a little and up to 60lbs it goes. Just nature of the beast with the "C" pump.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
Pros and cons of the 10778 vs the 10778c ? I know the 10778 is high volume standard pressure and the 10778c is high volume high pressure.
just fyi,the 10778 pump is high vol high press. the c is anti cavitate.i personally do not like or use the c pump.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:58 PM
BUP
Banned

I looked for a minute because I did not want to go thru 41 pages on the 310 cc heads post as I see that like other posts on OSO turns into a my dad can beat up your dad thread.

Anyways since I attend PRI Show every year I will visit booth 109. this is how I looked up this info from www.prishow.com

here you go and would been so much easy to just list his biz name.

http://www.straubtechnologies.com/

and a very good vid on the push rod length on your behalf.

I can not tell you how many times on reman marine engines that the boat owner and or marine shops buy and install that the push rod length is incorrect. Just saying

Last edited by BUP; 11-25-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUP
I looked for a minute because I did not want to go thru 41 pages on the 310 cc heads post as I see that like other posts on OSO turns into a my dad can beat up your dad thread.

Anyways since I attend PRI Show every year I will visit booth 109. this is how I looked up this info from www.prishow.com

here you go and would been so much easy to just list his biz name.

http://www.straubtechnologies.com/

and a very good vid on the push rod length on your behalf.

I can not tell you how many times on reman marine engines that the boat owner and or marine shops buy and install that the push rod length is incorrect. Just saying
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this. Thanks for the kind words on the vid. Yes I work for Straub Tech but I also maintain Foxwell Motorsports on the side (you can find me on FB). The marine world is where I basically got my start, although not in offshore. To me, engine building is engine building and every application has it's specific requirements regarding details of the builds. I've built quite a few marine engines including a 588 blown offshore deal for a 26' Eliminator. That was an 1120hp @ 6000 pump gas engine. Engine was dyno'd, ran for over a year, then the boat was sold and the second owner proceeded to destroy the engine. Unfortunate, as it was a build with the best of the best parts. Most of my marine stuff has been fresh water, small lake type boats, drag boats, jet boats, etc. My "specialty" is cylinder heads, valve train and induction development. Look forward to meeting you @ PRI.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:59 AM
BUP
Banned

^^^^^^ No problem. I look up here just about everyday and post almost everyday. I seen some of your posts and thought at first you were the engine builder Gellner but then realized that you someone else. On a few of your posts my thoughts were that you are very sharp about the internals of engines so my asking was a compliment to you. Anyways I always try follow true leaders in the industry to further my own knowledge. ie: Dart, Vizard, Reyer & Morrison, EFI tuners, a couple of teams of engine master challenge, actually have a friend who enters this but not this year and so on. See you at PRI - And thanks again.

So that was you in the push rod length vid - if so - you do not have a TN accent. Had to throw that in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.