Notices

Cam choice

Old 11-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, there is way too much focus on the cam. What about the ring pack?.... the right head/cam combination? The most overlooked detail in building a HP marine engine is selecting the right push rod and spring combination to stabilize the entire valve train. Most anybody can make power, but whose marine engines live the longest at substained high RPM?
Old 11-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
IMO, there is way too much focus on the cam. What about the ring pack?.... the right head/cam combination? The most overlooked detail in building a HP marine engine is selecting the right push rod and spring combination to stabilize the entire valve train. Most anybody can make power, but whose marine engines live the longest at substained high RPM?

Excellent post, Bob offers all the information you posted including specs that take into consideration boat weight, size, desired speed, wet or dry exhaust, type of use ect ect. This is something some of the other "designers" have no clue about because they have no actual personal or racing marine experience. The BS about the engine not knowing wether its in a car or boat that has been posted lately is just that BS, more so when it comes to wet exhaust that covers about 90 percent of this sites members. I have personal experience with engines speced by Bob in my own and customers boats that is locally well documented to run at high RPM's for many years without fail.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

So one motor broke...what is actually wrong with it? and does he really need new cams? Not much to go wrong with a solid lifter, if the cams look good and he is on a tight budget. We dont even know how many how hours are on these. If that number is relatively low...fix the broke motor and go boating. If the broke motor is looks bad/wore pull the other. I think it is too early to be looking for a different cam.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts
Feel it?

Old 11-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
Another recommendation for Bob Madara at Marine Kinetics that has had more satisfied customers over the past 10+ years than anybody in the history of OSO or any other boat site for that matter. Most of the qualified marine engine builders and do it yourselfers on this and other sites have and still use Bob on a daily basis.

so boostpower, Teague, phaff, sterling ,chief, Zul, Young, and Smith all use Bob? NOT. WOW do even read the stuff you write. Many dyi engine builders on this site have used Marine Kinetics, could they have gotten the same or better service elsewhere? Yes
Old 11-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvogt
so boostpower, Teague, phaff, sterling ,chief, Zul, Young, and Smith all use Bob? NOT. WOW do even read the stuff you write. Many dyi engine builders on this site have used Marine Kinetics, could they have gotten the same or better service elsewhere? Yes
Never said they did…but they all got their start somewhere.

I post on here my thoughts and you ,MT, deadplguy and few others pull ME out of the pack that have already posted good things about Bob…. well its time to eat…….may yours be chit
Old 11-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

All this talk about marine cams and reversion all the time. And insults to those who's business isnt focused solely on marine cams. And yet, the guy they suggest on every cam thread, has indeed, had many customers with reversion issues.

As far as pricing goes, call around. You might be surprised who has better pricing on 8620 custom cams, morel lifters (i dont see marine kinetics listed as a morel dealer any longer), and offers more than one brand of rocker arm.

Of course, its easy to undercut pricing, when you have zero overhead (no facilities or equipment), and drop ship about everything. But when you have hundreds of thousands of dollars wrapped up in cam grinding equipment, employees, property, insurance, inventory, etc, its not always easy to be the cheapest on prices.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
. well its time to eat…….may yours be chit
Thats not very nice Brian.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Thats not very nice Brian.
I was being nice because of the day and felt it was nicer than he deserved for his attack on me……..
Old 11-26-2015, 01:55 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

What a wonderful Thanksgiving blessing.

Thread closed, move along. Next step is a banning.