Cross over kit >

Cross over kit

Notices

Cross over kit

Old 11-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
You will need to run some lines from the front of the intake manifold (water jacket) to the rear water jacket on the manifold.
Thanks...that's what I thought, just haven't been able to find any pictures of it done. I've got Merlin intakes on my motors so there should be enough material to tap into.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Or you can dump water off the rear of the intakes overboard. You can adjust diameter of these lines, to help dial in water pressure as well.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofox54
I've been contemplating doing this also but am concerned about hot spots in the back of the heads. Has anyone tapped into the rear of the heads to run a line back to the front?
i don,t understand how removing the circ pump will cause hot spot in rear of head,can someone explain that to me?

Last edited by mike tkach; 11-26-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Or you can dump water off the rear of the intakes overboard. You can adjust diameter of these lines, to help dial in water pressure as well.
Cool...thanks for the input. Doubt I'll have much pressure issues as I'll be lucky to see 70 mph out of my boat.
OP...didn't mean to hijack your thread bit seems it's all useful info for running crossovers.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i don,t understand how removing the circ pump will cause hot spot in rear of head,can someone explain that to me?
I'm not sure either....had just read it so was curious if anyone had any input either way.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Registered

lot of experts with no experiance giving advice lately.the circulating pump slows down the water flow through the engine.removing it in no way will cause the back of the head to have hot spots.if you remove the circ pump you will increase water pressure due to MORE water entering the block.merc uses the circ pump to help the engine maintain constant water temp and to reduce water pressure.

Last edited by mike tkach; 11-26-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add more information.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
If removing the circ pump resulted in lower water pressure steam pockets would form at a lower temp.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cole2534
If removing the circ pump resulted in lower water pressure steam pockets would form at a lower temp.
no,it does not lower pressure enough to do that,if it di merc woild not use the circ pump.edit in,i was watching the bears win and not thinking,removing the circ pump will increase water pressure,not lower it.

Last edited by mike tkach; 11-26-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the main reason mercury used a circulating pump, was so when thermostat was closed, water would keep "circulating" thru the engine, via the byass hose. Water never stood still in the block while thermostat was closed, it simply went in the front of block, thru heads, back out intake into circulating pump, and back thru front of block again. The extra raw water coming in during that period, simply went out the exhaust. The system works well, and imo, if running a thermostat, its a better way to go, having a circulating pump.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

The OP said he likes the look without the ugly merc t-stat, I believe. If looks are your goal Diamond also offers a few nice polished stainless replacements for that ugly t-stat housing and keeping the circulating pump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.