Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
File fit rings >

File fit rings

Notices

File fit rings

Old 12-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd like to see a test with a blowby meter installed, with a properly setup gapped ring, vs a gapless..and see what is really going on. Conventional gapped rings aren't designed to seal sitting on engine stand with the engine off. I think its pretty much been proven many times by some pretty big time engine builders/race teams, that the low leakdown numbers when comparing gapless rings, have no real world relation to what is really going on once the engine is off the stand.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
I understand the theory on opening up the second ring end gap. My question is what about the total seal gap less
Rings? Or do you not recommend using those style rings?
I recommend calling total seal. Talk to Keith if you can get him on the phone took me a week of calling multie times a day. Discuss your combination and get his recommendation.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I'd like to see a test with a blowby meter installed, with a properly setup gapped ring, vs a gapless..and see re what is really going on. Conventional gapped rings aren't designed to seal sitting on engine stand with the engine off. I think its pretty much been proven many times by some pretty big time engine builders/race teams, that the low leakdown numbers when comparing gapless rings, have no real world relation to what is really going on once the engine is off the stand.
The verdict has been in on gapless rings for years. They aren't used in the highest levels of racing.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

when checking leak down on a fresh rebuild w/ file fit rings,I see 2% or less.Then on the other token,My engine ran like a mofo,some of the fastest speeds out of them.when leaked down,6 out of 8 cylinders had 40-50% leak down.go figure.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I'd like to see a test with a blowby meter installed, with a properly setup gapped ring, vs a gapless..and see what is really going on. Conventional gapped rings aren't designed to seal sitting on engine stand with the engine off. I think its pretty much been proven many times by some pretty big time engine builders/race teams, that the low leakdown numbers when comparing gapless rings, have no real world relation to what is really going on once the engine is off the stand.
i agree,putting 100lbs air pressure in the plug hole will allow more air to leak through the ring gaps than when the piston is moving a mile per second in it,s bore.espically with the engine at operating temp.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Registered

It be cool to be able to hook up a blow by meter, and monitor those numbers, as when its time to do a freshen up. I read a post on one of the sites like yellowbullet or speedtalk, where they had a used/ran engine that had super low leakdown numbers with gapless rings, and when they strapped it to the dyno, the blowby cfm under full throttle load was off the chart.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i agree,putting 100lbs air pressure in the plug hole will allow more air to leak through the ring gaps than when the piston is moving a mile per second in it,s bore.espically with the engine at operating temp.
Or like horseypower1 said, when the rings are up against the ring lands with pressure.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

When people are talking gapless rings, can they state if gapless top or 2nd ring ? Thanks.

Last edited by SB; 12-01-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Registered

Old 12-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
Flatness of +/- .0005 = total deviation of .001. Not face flatness, but flatness as when you lay the ring on a table. Most "performance" rings are ground flat but, for example, Total Seals AP (Advanced Profile) rings are lapped and can achieve a much flatter surface to seal on the ring land in the piston. I would venture to say a 5/64 iron ring isn't even ground, but parted on a lathe and left with a machine finish. This is why I told the OP don't worry about the gap...that ring is losing a lot of seal just in it's inherent design.
H1, I just looked at the ring surface where they seal against the piston and there is a smooth cross hatch pattern to them like they were lapped. Just noting it.

The second ring is already .004 bigger at .029.

I have heard people running a gapless second ring, if they really sealed that well, wouldnt they cause problems on the first ring?
Thanks for the technical input rather than bickering(for every one not you)..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.