File fit rings >

File fit rings

Notices

File fit rings

Old 12-02-2015, 11:37 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

And they have Blow by meters out in the market to check ring seal. I have never used one but some old timer air plane engine techs really like them. Just saying.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I can only speak for my own experience when it comes to my boat engines.

468ci, 6-7lbs boost, 800hp, twin 850 carbs, JE blower pistons, speed pro file fit plasma moly rings I paid around 150 bucks for.

These engines were built in 2012. Blocks were fully machined at borowski race engines in joliet, illinois, and assembled at Mike Tkachs place. They are in my 38 Fountain with #4 drives. So far, 4 seasons, and around 100 hours on them give or take.

Summer of 2014, I did an 8 day trip to Loto. I logged over 400 miles that week , and mostly running 4000-5800rpm. During this week, i did not have to add a drop of oil. No oil coming from breathers . Returned home, put boat away. Then took it on a trip to traverse city michigan. Did a weekend up there, along with a 60 mile fun run. Again, spending alot of time at wot, as the water was calm, and my hull is slow. Still, no need to add oil. Oil was still clean on the dipstick as well.

Same story 2015, no oil useage, no blowby issues, no dirty oil. Looking thru a bore scope, the cross hatch patterns still look great. Compression tests same as they did 4 years ago.

I cannot ask for anything more from the setup in that area. Now, this isnt a long stroke big bore deal, soo....Not in anyway suggesting any of that couldnt be done with gapless total seals, just stating my experiences.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:48 PM
BUP
Banned

Dont forget about ring seal = ring lands and good motor oil.

a little added info from R&M

http://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-2...-of-gas-ports/
Old 12-02-2015, 12:51 PM
BUP
Banned

and the oil side. 2 companies I allows follow and talk to in person.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/...ee-horsepower/
Old 12-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree with the Importance of the oil.... Just bought 6 qts of brek in oil for an engine i'm finishing up now. Dare I say it is for a "automotive application" on a boating sight?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I can only speak for my own experience when it comes to my boat engines.

468ci, 6-7lbs boost, 800hp, twin 850 carbs, JE blower pistons, speed pro file fit plasma moly rings I paid around 150 bucks for.

These engines were built in 2012. Blocks were fully machined at borowski race engines in joliet, illinois, and assembled at Mike Tkachs place. They are in my 38 Fountain with #4 drives. So far, 4 seasons, and around 100 hours on them give or take.

Summer of 2014, I did an 8 day trip to Loto. I logged over 400 miles that week , and mostly running 4000-5800rpm. During this week, i did not have to add a drop of oil. No oil coming from breathers . Returned home, put boat away. Then took it on a trip to traverse city michigan. Did a weekend up there, along with a 60 mile fun run. Again, spending alot of time at wot, as the water was calm, and my hull is slow. Still, no need to add oil. Oil was still clean on the dipstick as well.

Same story 2015, no oil useage, no blowby issues, no dirty oil. Looking thru a bore scope, the cross hatch patterns still look great. Compression tests same as they did 4 years ago.

I cannot ask for anything more from the setup in that area. Now, this isnt a long stroke big bore deal, soo....Not in anyway suggesting any of that couldnt be done with gapless total seals, just stating my experiences.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Absolutly! my story is similar to MT. 15 years on the short blocks rings, brgs, pistons, oil pump, and lifters, Leak down fine, cranking psi fine don't mess with it, standard rings but custom Diamond pistons. I think Butch designed and manufactured a good set
Old 12-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the education on gap-less rings. I guess if regular rings have worked fine for so many years no need to reinvent the wheel. I was just curious about them for endurance purposes mostly. Sorry for the non intended hijack