Notices

Rods

Old 12-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike tkach
joe,good question.if you removed the 8740 bolts from dan,s rods and installed arp2000 and torqued to spec the housing bore would no longer be round and would need to be shaved&re honed.i also forgot to mention earlier that arp,s recomended stretch is 75% of total yield,they do this because if you over stretch a rod bolt it is rendered useless.this is why some rod makers show different stretch value,but it is still in arp,s spec if that makes ant sence.guess i should mention,total yield is the point that a rod bolt will brake when over stretched.also,the tighter a bolt is torqued the more clamping load it exerts.
This is why when you use the stretch method, you should keep a log of the bolt lengths. Measure before installation and then when you remove them for a re-build or whatever. If any of the bolts have a free length of more than .001" than before, then they need to be replaced because they have exceeded their elastic limit (yield strength) resulting in deformation of unengaged thread. The bolt is junk. Yield is different than ultimate tensile strength (UTS). UTS is where the bolt will break, yield is where it exceeds it's elastic limit and deforms. I will also say it is far worse to under tighten a critical bolt than properly tighten one.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

a bolt is like a spring,if it does not return to it,s initial length after it is stretched it is time to replace it.this is a simple way to describe a bolt.i am not always so good with words so my explination sometimes gets confusing.

Last edited by mike tkach; 12-16-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, You share some Great Info on here. I have been an engine builder since 1987. I am still always learning new stuff. Others do as well. Thanks foe the honest info. "My 2 cents", I like Oliver and Carillo Rods the best. But most customers won't go the cash for either set. In recent years I have had better luck with Eagle and Manley out of the box. They all need to be sized to the exact build application though. Both Ends.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok. Having never assembled an engine. Torque spec I get and is obvious. How do you know/measure of the bolt has been properly stretched. I'm assuming a mic however if as Mike put it, it acts as a spring you'd have to remove the bolt for that measurement and it would no longer be stretched. Pardon my ignorance on this particular subject.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

stretch gauge, if you look at the bolt there is little divots at each end for that gauge to attach to.
http://www.googleadservices.com/page...Fseid%3Dsrese1

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Ok. Having never assembled an engine. Torque spec I get and is obvious. How do you know/measure of the bolt has been properly stretched. I'm assuming a mic however if as Mike put it, it acts as a spring you'd have to remove the bolt for that measurement and it would no longer be stretched. Pardon my ignorance on this particular subject.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Got it. Makes sense now. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Anytime....
Old 12-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
This is why when you use the stretch method, you should keep a log of the bolt lengths. Measure before installation and then when you remove them for a re-build or whatever. If any of the bolts have a free length of more than .001" than before, then they need to be replaced because they have exceeded their elastic limit (yield strength) resulting in deformation of unengaged thread. The bolt is junk. Yield is different than ultimate tensile strength (UTS). UTS is where the bolt will break, yield is where it exceeds it's elastic limit and deforms. I will also say it is far worse to under tighten a critical bolt than properly tighten one.
Good explanation of Yield vs. Tensile values.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 29 FOUNTAIN FUN
Mike, You share some Great Info on here. I have been an engine builder since 1987. I am still always learning new stuff. Others do as well. Thanks foe the honest info. "My 2 cents", I like Oliver and Carillo Rods the best. But most customers won't go the cash for either set. In recent years I have had better luck with Eagle and Manley out of the box. They all need to be sized to the exact build application though. Both Ends.
thanks for the kind words,i can,t agree with your statement on both ends need to be sized.i always check the big end on all new rods and very rarely see one that has improper bore size,but i do agree that the small end will almost always need pin fitting.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 4,445 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
EDIT IN,i just finished a 565 that got new callies ultra rods,callies already torques&retorques the rods before shipping so the end user does not need to.this is stated in the directions they come with.ps,they come with arp2000 and it also sais callies on the bolt.

This may the case with MOLNAR ??, them bolts are super tight!! ( only took one out to compare)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.