Notices

Rods

Old 12-03-2015, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we run K1 billet rods in our turbo LS engine 26psi now, can run 30, work well, arp 2000 bolts in those as well
Old 12-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Tom Molnar. One of the nicest guys I've ever talked to and he was very generous in giving me detailed explanations on what makes his rods different. Web thickness, beam design, and proprietary design on his bolts are a few highlights. He holds very tight tolerances with his finishing as well. Tightest I've seen. Nothing wrong with Manley rods, they're just not any different than any other of the mentioned above imports. All these import rods are way strong...the weak link in any rod will be the bolt. Rods seldom break unless something is really out of whack, but rod bolt failure is all to common. And FWIW, I don't have a problem that any of these are import. IMO a good part is a good part and for the money, any of them are hard to beat. You just have to inspect them closely. I've seen a lot of tolerance issues, finish issues, things like bearing tang placement, taper in the big ends, lots of sharp edges and burrs...this is where they save their money. Kinda like the "out of the box cylinder head" thread...I don't look at these rods as ready to run. The Molnars, yes.
I Was referred to Tom Molnar before meeting you. One of the best and educational phone calls I've ever made in this industry. This guy knows his stuff! Seems like one of the best bang for the buck products in the industry. Even though they weren't the best choice for my application (but he wasn't scared of me using them) since I was planning 1200+hp Whipple motors, he still took the time to help me select carillo rods with Carr bolts. Great guy that's been in this industry a long time. His asemetrical bolts are the ticket also.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Registered

Pardon my ignorance, but if the rods are straight and true, and the bearing surfaces are good, what would be the reason for changing? Stress? Number of cycles.
Were there a ton of hours on these engines? Just curious,
Old 12-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Pardon my ignorance, but if the rods are straight and true, and the bearing surfaces are good, what would be the reason for changing? Stress? Number of cycles.
Because we are GUYS and that's what we do!
Old 12-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,047 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Yes and yes....... fatigue and they will stretch,
Old 12-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
Yes and yes....... fatigue and they will stretch,
Okay, l guess I can see the fatigue side of things, but it seems they would deflect rather than stretch, as I would think the compression stroke puts by far the biggest load on them.
Why I ask is we all know that new parts fail as well, so if you have a proven piece thats still in spec.
andwasn't harmed during the event leading to the teardown, why not.
Still goes back to if the engine had a ton of hours I suppose.
Also aren't those 500 dollar rods closer to 6 or 7 hundred by the time they're remachined and ready to run,as previously stated.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, l guess I can see the fatigue side of things, but it seems they would deflect rather than stretch, as I would think the compression stroke puts by far the biggest load on them.
Why I ask is we all know that new parts fail as well, so if you have a proven piece thats still in spec.
andwasn't harmed during the event leading to the teardown, why not.
Still goes back to if the engine had a ton of hours I suppose.
Also aren't those 500 dollar rods closer to 6 or 7 hundred by the time they're remachined and ready to run,as previously stated.
The biggest destructive load a rod sees by far is when the piston changes direction @ TDC on the overlap stroke. As far as combustion pressure, the column strength of any of these rods is probably overkill and would out last most of our lifetimes.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:03 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought material fatigue was only an issue with aluminium. I've been led to believe steel was a make or break deal, as long as you don't exceed its specs it will last, unlike aluminium which will always ultimately fatigue and break.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I always figured they just last if not broken for any reason, I also always wondered what is stronger? H beam or I beam? the H looks stronger but seems many high end rods are I beam. is it more about the weight?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:30 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I always figured they just last if not broken for any reason, I also always wondered what is stronger? H beam or I beam? the H looks stronger but seems many high end rods are I beam. is it more about the weight?
There is two sides to that camp, as far as which is stronger.

But yeh, there are many $1500 and up I beams that will be stronger than the $500 H-Beams.

There are $2k+ H beams out there too..sooooo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.