Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil Pressure Question... Nothing broken but chasing an oddity >

Oil Pressure Question... Nothing broken but chasing an oddity

Notices

Oil Pressure Question... Nothing broken but chasing an oddity

Old 12-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Mike. At this point you need to go through a process of elimination. Gauge first, then go back to filter-only on the engine. This will tell you a lot.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem similar to yours many years ago.. I will let you in on my secret.believe it or not but there is a gasket that goes under the oil filter bracket and its not shown on the parts diagram.i repeat...it is not shown on the parts diagram..it took me some time to find it and mercury DOES MAKE IT.IT goes between the block and the filter bracket..oil will bypass the mains and create a loss of pressure if it isn't used.I am not saying this is your issue I am only sharing this..hope it helps.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

He would have a huge leak to bilge then..

Originally Posted by activator40
I had a problem similar to yours many years ago.. I will let you in on my secret.believe it or not but there is a gasket that goes under the oil filter bracket and its not shown on the parts diagram.i repeat...it is not shown on the parts diagram..it took me some time to find it and mercury DOES MAKE IT.IT goes between the block and the filter bracket..oil will bypass the mains and create a loss of pressure if it isn't used.I am not saying this is your issue I am only sharing this..hope it helps.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:45 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by activator40
You talking the gasket under the block mounted oil filter adapter ?
See pic:
Link:http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...oductId=763945
and pic:
Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i have never seen or used that gasket on any chevy v8 and imo that is not the issue.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:12 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i have never seen or used that gasket on any chevy v8 and imo that is not the issue.
Correct. They don't come with them from GM. It does with the GM Performance one, though, as you can see, for some reason.

Just trying to figure out what gasket he's talking about because, other than that and the one for the oil line adapter to block housing (#8) the the only other one where he's talking about is the one that sits between the center screw on fitting and the 'cup' of the oil line adapter. If this was missing, there would be a massive external oil leak. #5.6.7,8 in pic.

His wording is not too clear to me.

Last edited by SB; 12-04-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: trying to be more clear
Old 12-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Registered

maybe he means #6.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Now keep stepping your line size up to feed the motor. The more flow you get to the bearing the more pressure you will have... Less restriction = more flow to the bearings which makes more pressure.
A larger line/less restriction is only going to give you more flow if the pump can increase the flow to match the line. If a pump is rated at X gph thats all it is going to put out. Likewise, if you increase the size of the line, and the flow stays the same, the pressure will decrease, not increase. Think of it as a water hose free flowing. Then hold your finger over 1/2 of it and the pressure will increase because the opening is smaller.

Now, with that being said, if the flow increases say from a change to a higher volume pump, when that flow hits the bearing clearnce that has remained the same, the oil pressure on the gauge "should" increase. and based on the OP's clearance which I agree is tighter than I would use on a marine engine, he should have good pressure numbers.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
maybe he means #6.
I have had #6 leak, and make a mess, but I don't remember it haven't an affect on pressure.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Registered

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^i have said it a hundred times,pressure is caused by resistance of flow,so yes,the larger oil line will be less restrictive to flow.i feel that mercury put to small of diameter oil lines on some of their engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.