Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
need a little 496 winterization help. kinda, and another question. >

need a little 496 winterization help. kinda, and another question.

Notices

need a little 496 winterization help. kinda, and another question.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
so that is over 90 days - did you take fuel samples to make sure no water was in the fuel and fuel tank ? Did you check for water in the GEN III cool fuel basket as that is what its job is suppose to do.

there is alot more to winterizing a boat than draining the block or running it on anti freeze - did you grease your gimbal bearing ? Did make sure the tiny water holes / drain holes in the outdrive were not block so they drained as well and make sure your speedo hole is not block holding water ? .

did you make sure there was no water in the outdrive gear oil and it is always best to change all oils for lay up. Does your gas cap have a good o-ring seal on it so helps against condensation ? Did your heat exchanger completely drain all of its water ? - I would not just count on the air actuator system / pump. They work good for nice new clean engines but get a bunch of scale or sand in the raw water side of all this and they do not drain very well. Good luck and I pretty much covered most of it for how it should be done per the OEM .
i just put it away last weekend. i did replace the fuel filter and add sea foam to the fuel basket did not see any water in it. i will grease the gimbal when i pull it out as well as change the gear oil. yup water holes in the drive are free and clear. being stored indoors means no antifreeze run through the system.
i did not take any fuel samples, i did add sea foam and stabilizer to the gas. gas cap seal is good not hard or dry rotted. this boat has always been stored indoors since new in the winter.

i really do appreciate all of your input, you have been very helpful in this post and other i have searched. this is my 3rd boat and im new to the 496. so all of your input is great appreciated.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There are a good 10,000 posts or so on this forum with winterization information on the 496 models.
Just saying, search button does wonders.

As long as your air pump drainage system is working well, you will not see much water drain out of the blue plugs. EXCEPT for the cool fuel system as John/BUP mentioned above. I think there are 4 or 5 blue plugs total on a 496.

RIGHT from Mercury on how to winterize an engine with closed cooling/air-pump system:
(see about 1/2 way down the page

http://www.mercuryracing.com/product...erndrives-faq/

DO I STILL NEED TO HAVE WINTERIZATION PERFORMED BY MY DEALER IF I HAVE A SELF-DRAIN SYSTEM ON MY ENGINE?

The drain system on your engine is NOT intended to replace full winterization. It is for extending your boating season by allowing the cooling system to be drained after use if there is a risk of light freezing weather and you will be boating the next day. For full extended winter storage, after completely draining the cooling system, Mercury Mercury Racing recommends the use of propylene glycol antifreeze (with a rust inhibitor for marine engines) in the seawater section of the cooling system. The fuel system must have fuel stabilizer added and the system must be fogged with 2-cycle oil. We strongly recommend that your product is winterized by an authorized Mercury Racing dealer. Damage caused by freezing or improper winterization is NOT covered by the limited factory warranty.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
There are a good 10,000 posts or so on this forum with winterization information on the 496 models.
Just saying, search button does wonders.

As long as your air pump drainage system is working well, you will not see much water drain out of the blue plugs. EXCEPT for the cool fuel system as John/BUP mentioned above. I think there are 4 or 5 blue plugs total on a 496.

RIGHT from Mercury on how to winterize an engine with closed cooling/air-pump system:
(see about 1/2 way down the page

http://www.mercuryracing.com/product...erndrives-faq/
yes ive searched the forum and read for hours on the procedures for winterizing for freezing temps. my boat is stored inside and will not ever see freezing temperatures. i want to make sure that i have all the water drained the proper way and do what i need to do to keep the fuel system from corroding.

i will be searching for the other 3 plugs i didn't know about this Friday when i get to the shop.

Last edited by RGPIII; 12-07-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RGPIII
yes ive searched the forum and read for hours on the procedures for winterizing for freezing temps. my boat is stored inside and will not ever see freezing temperatures. i want to make sure that i have all the water drained the proper way and do what i need to do to keep the fuel system from corroding.

i will be searching for the other 3 plugs i didn't know about this Friday when i get to the shop.
Check www.mercruiserparts.com to get the schematic for your engine.

I think it's:
1 forward port
2 forward starboard
1 rear port
1 rear starboard (unsure about this one, can't remember)
Old 12-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Check www.mercruiserparts.com to get the schematic for your engine.

I think it's:
1 forward port
2 forward starboard
1 rear port
1 rear starboard (unsure about this one, can't remember)
perfect thank you for that. does that drain the water from the cool fuel system as well? I've searched for that on here as well and have not found anything saying the locations of the drains for that. could i just pull the two hoses off the back?
Old 12-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Cool fuel is SB forward IIRC.
Oil cooler is Port rear IIRC; hardest one to get to.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-08-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Registered

here is where its stored.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

early Gen III cool fuels did not have any drain plugs. The 2 first versions of this cool fuel did not have any drain plugs period. For the first version You have to pull the back hoses that are attached to a bracket - you have to unscrew the middle nut that is attached to the bracket - again 2 hoses / one mounting bracket attaches this. They are pressed to fit plastic barb fittings attached to the 2 hoses. Again these are mounted on the back side of the gen III cool fuel that requires removal of the attached bracket nut that goes into the cool fuel stud - once the hoses . bracket combo are detached from the cool fuel (Gen III version ) you then need to jack the front of the boat pretty darn high to completely drain the cool fuel of water.

Mercruiser had 4 different drain versions for the the gen III cool fuel. The current version they finally got it right to drain with the blue drain located in the front of it lower left side. Now if your cool fuel has been changed you then will have a later model version installed - I have no idea without looking at it as to what versions it would be especially if changed out.

Search up here as I already posted indepth all the versions of the GEN III cool fuel. It all depends what serail number your engine is will determine how the cool fuel water drain is set up. EVERYTHING goes by engine serial not year model.

Next info - all gen III cool fuel have 2 fuel filters installed and some versons have 3 fuel filters total. It all depends again what is your serial number is , so with that said you missed changing at the very least one fuel filter and it is the most important one in the system. The 10 micron pad filter at the bottom. I talked about that up here a bunch as well. I know all Mercrusier OEM stock engines like the back of the hand. Just saying.

Your water pump impeller housing will have 2 blue drain plugs to take out -

Last edited by BUP; 12-08-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I need to swap out those screens before 2016 season BUP. I've been diligent about the 'bigger' two, but haven't done those yet. Probably time given it's a 2003 and all.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:29 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Brain you should have a gen II cool fuel on your app not a gen III version. What screens are you referring to ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.