Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
need a little 496 winterization help. kinda, and another question. >

need a little 496 winterization help. kinda, and another question.

Notices

need a little 496 winterization help. kinda, and another question.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

So if electric goes out for any reasons during freezing weather then what start a big camp fire in your garage to keep it above freezing to protect your boat engine and related systems from freeze damage ?

I go thru this every year with boat owners who do not want to winterize nor pay for any of it that think a lite bulb in the engine compartment or a warm garage will do for 2 months here, NOT - we had electric down for a week timeframe for the past 2 years due to ice storms in the deep south. When everyones warm garage and lite bulbs went out with the electric, guess what - those boat owners rang the phone off the wall please winterize my boat. Many did not make it nor I went to service any of them. Word of warning. Just saying

Last edited by BUP; 12-09-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Post 38 - 4mula what engines ? 496 or smallblocks the smallblocks are even worse holding water in the cool fuel gen III. If you put all; your drain plugs back in and ran the engine on a anti freeze only that 4 sure gets all in the cool fuel water side. You also can take off one of the inlet BIB fitting hoses and poor anti freeze in that way That's how I would do it but I would want to know that it was drained of water as close to 100 % beforehand. It is always best to drain all water out first for all systems.

ANYWAYS I AM OUT OF TOWN TILL Sunday nite - just super bored in the hotel so thought I would look up here.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
So if electric goes out for any reasons during freezing weather then what start a big camp fire in your garage to keep it above freezing to protect your boat engine and related systems from freeze damage ?

I go thru this every year with boat owners who do not want to winterize nor pay for any of it that think a lite bulb in the engine compartment or a warm garage will do for 2 months here, NOT - we had electric down for a week timeframe for the past 2 years due to ice storms in the deep south. When everyones warm garage and lite bulbs went out with the electric, guess what - those boat owners rang the phone off the wall please winterize my boat. Many did not make it nor I went to service any of them. Word of warning. Just saying
no no fires happening in my garage. everything is set on a back up generator. we stand to loose a lot more than just my boat if something happens and that garage freezes. even still if the back up generator fails we have 3 kerosene heaters set up as well. not trying to save money at all. i tend to go over kill on everything.

i was more asking for the reason of knowing than not to do it (im new to this engine) im draining it on Friday just to have the warm fuzzy knowing water isn't sitting in there until march. also pulling the turbulators on friday as well.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPIII
that looks awesome. ill pull the turbulators this weekend. ill have to find a local shop or someone to have it welded up. any videos of it after?
Here are the vids.....

https://youtu.be/yWQW8a0RB8E

https://youtu.be/-wBZgVsyNlI

https://youtu.be/odKcWSu5yNc

Last edited by Ryan00TJ; 12-10-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup version 1 of the gen III still has the original one on it. luckily for me mine was very accessible and not a tough job to drain at all.

also took the turbulators out as well. cant wait to hear it next year.