Drives..turn IN or OUT?? >

Drives..turn IN or OUT??

Notices

Drives..turn IN or OUT??

Old 12-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drives..turn IN or OUT??

Need some advice from those that have tried both. It took WAY too long, but FINALLY got this pig running! 1988 Formula 311SR1, complete re-power, had 420's/TRS but I want her biullet-proof so replaced EVERYTHING, New 572's no corners cut 735hp on pump gas, NEW Huber Trannys, NEW Konrad 540PRS drives with Optional lower, etc...Alternators, sea pumps, powersteering pump, ignitions, starters...new! Heres the question, the Drives were tagged WRONG! We "intended to turn the props OUT and they are spinning IN! Been the story of this build (long story!) Leave it alone? Change it?? HELP! Thanks!! Tim PS - retaining the Silent Thunder platform (been reading a LOT about these) Cut the flappers out. Have CMI Big Tubes...sounds GREAT....going to try as is before cutting holes in the bottom??
Old 12-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most boat will run a tad faster with them spinning in...fountains all run in, but harder to dock in close quarters, but with what you have would just be trial/error. if not bad to dock I would run that way
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Most Formulas spin them out. I think with your setup you should just try it both ways. What props are you going to run?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Registered

Im wondering what it will want for props? heavy boat, TONS of Torque! at only 2000rpm already making 615. Max Power at 5750. Max TQ at 4500 (655)...does anybody on here have a "similar" combo??? I also put Full Hyd Steering on, going to be a "tick" faster than "stock"??!! Went 68mph w/420/TRS.....curious what she will do? 90???
Old 12-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You are going to have to experiment with prop rotation, and style of prop. I think handling is going to be your concern. Id focus on which setup offers the best handling at top speed. The 311 hull was never really designed for 90mph, so it may take some setup time. Id prob start with some 28 bravos and see what you have going on.

Props spinning in, nets bow lift. Props spinning out, lifts the stern.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Registered

My EARS are OPEN! I don't see at lot of WOT as Stock it scared my Girlfriend! lol Tempted to leave them as is and try it....supposed to be 55 and sunny Saturday, Boating in MI in mid December??
Old 12-09-2015, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

Tim, cool, so you got it running, great! I was gonna ask you then saw this thread.

How did everything go? You should post some pictures, and let me know how it runs when you get it out on the water.

Play with this:
http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm

How much does the boat weigh? I have a set of props but they are only 24s, way to small for that setup. I would think you can spin 28s, and would put you at 90mph with 12% slip. Someone on here has probably done it before with your boat, I am not fluent enough to advise on what would be best. Someone will chime in.

Just curious % wise, how much do you think you went over budget from when you first started? Including the upgrade changes, and all. I am at about 275% of my budget from when I started 5 years ago.

Last edited by frickstyle; 12-09-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TAStevens
My EARS are OPEN! I don't see at lot of WOT as Stock it scared my Girlfriend! lol Tempted to leave them as is and try it....supposed to be 55 and sunny Saturday, Boating in MI in mid December??
I would take it out and run it !
Old 12-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Registered

Hey Justin...good to hear from ya...ya..took WAY longer than I thought but I did everything "right" no short cuts, I could write a Book with the :"issues" I ran into! I have a folder with all the receipts, etc...havnt had the "stones" to open it up and add it all up! lol...All new custom upholstery is next. Sure I am in for Double! Ive got a pair of 25 3-blades that were on it and a pair of 32 4-blades I can try. No way the 25's will work so will throw the 32's on, probably too big but I REALLY want to get her wet! I have talked to some guys with 550hp/side in these 311's but havnt found anyone w/735/side...anyone?? would LOVE to hear! PS - Don't think there will be a line at the dock??
Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't add it up. Don't EVER add it up. I have a stack of receipts this off season that I avoid eye contact with at all costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.