Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
hylift johnson lifters. >

hylift johnson lifters.

Notices

hylift johnson lifters.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i am pretty sure they are 2 different company,s.

hylift johnson is a lot less money than johnson.one usually get,s what he pays for,or less.

Last edited by mike tkach; 12-14-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

From someone I know at Johnson Lifter

"Completely different. We used to own Hy-Lift and that building. Back when we focused purely on OEM work and basic aftermarket stuff. Comerica pulled the credit lines for the OEM, that's when Federal Mogul tanked along with a few others. We moved to Taylor, MI and started the aftermarket manufacturing. We also trademarked the Johnson Lifters name. Fast forward a few years and the offshore company, Topline, bought Hy-Lift and our old building."
Old 12-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i am pretty sure they are 2 different company,s.jo

hylift johnson is a lot less money than johnson.one usually get,s what he pays for,or less.
Were you able to compare Johnsons side by side? To see if there were any visual differences?
Old 12-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Were you able to compare Johnsons side by side? To see if there were any visual differences?
no,i just did not have the time but that will change for 2016 pri.i will have all the time i need.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
From someone I know at Johnson Lifter

"Completely different. We used to own Hy-Lift and that building. Back when we focused purely on OEM work and basic aftermarket stuff. Comerica pulled the credit lines for the OEM, that's when Federal Mogul tanked along with a few others. We moved to Taylor, MI and started the aftermarket manufacturing. We also trademarked the Johnson Lifters name. Fast forward a few years and the offshore company, Topline, bought Hy-Lift and our old building."
i had heard the same thing.i really thought the hylift johnson ones looked chinsey,but looks can be decieving.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I sent Randy a message to see since I was not 100% sure, but thought he told me in the past they were separate.

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i had heard the same thing.i really thought the hylift johnson ones looked chinsey,but looks can be decieving.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hylift Johnson and Johnson are definitely different companies. The latter are better lifters. Had I known at the time, I would have gone with Johnson.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Is there anymore info on this since 2015?
Someone I trust who has never steered me wrong says the guys from Johnstone USA use to work for HYlift ... stole a bunch of plans and equipment and started Johnson USA . One of the owners is apparently still in Jail?
HYlift Johnson is still making lifters, the have extremely tight tolerences and machines worth millions to make sure the lifters are top notch.

Some of the practises of Johnson USA uses to build lifters seems to be questionable (according to my source)

I`ve run Morels for 5 years without a hiccup but now they`re quality seems to be in the toilet so I need a replacement. Teague , Eddie , Isky, they all use Johnson USA so I`m confused...

Edit:
https://www.mlive.com/business/west-..._muskegon.html

Maybe thats what he was talking about

And company officials blame the decline on Hicks, for stealing and selling more than $1 million of the company’s parts and equipment in 2006 and 2007 to benefit a competing company Hicks and others were setting up.(JOHNSON USA????)

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 11-22-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Spoke with Joe Lewis, Product Manager at Johnson Lifters in Taylor, Mi. He was very eager to answer any of my questions. Wish I had some better tech questions but basically I told him of the problems so many were having with "other, offshore" lifters bleeding down and being noisy after they sit idle as so many classic cars do. He explained why their product solves this problem but I can't really explain here as it was a bit over my head. icon_smile_wink

I mentioned the confusion with the Topline Hylift Johnson lifters and this is what I was told.
When the original Johnson went bankrupt back in 2003 or 2004 they (Parent company Specialty Engine Components LLC) bought the rights to the Johnson lifter. Many of the employees came to work for them and the original plant on the west side of Michigan (Zeeland I believe) sat idle for a couple of years. He said nothing negative about the other company. If I remember right from the article about the other company's problems they were bought by Topline, the plant was moved to Muskegon and they resumed production. The only thing I can figure out is there must be enough of a difference in the name (Johnson lifters vs. Topline Hylift Johnson Lifters) to pass muster.
hmmm
Old 11-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

WHY JOHNSON HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS BELONG IN YOUR ENGINE

Johnson Lifters wants to be your valve lifter source. A primary supplier with top tier manufacturing capabilities, the 90 year old company functions seamlessly within the high stress, low tolerance OEM environment where quality control inspections are mandatory and frequent. An essential part of Johnson Lifter's quality control program is identifying and solving common lifter issues. In particular, hydraulic valve lifters have long suffered the notion that they are no good for performance use, but that is far from accurate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.