Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Looking For Advice On Hydraulic Steering! >

Looking For Advice On Hydraulic Steering!

Notices

Looking For Advice On Hydraulic Steering!

Old 12-17-2015, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Advice On Hydraulic Steering!

Looking to put hydraulic steering on my 89 baja 240 sport. I get chine walking bad around 63 m.p.h. An as you climb it does get worse. As far as hydraulic steering i'm working on a budget. When i was looking into them im not sure as to what length ram i would need an all the measurements. Any suggestions?
Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of rebuilt Marine Machine Rams and ram mounts. All you would need is a bunch of hoses and a helm pump and you could be full hydraulic. Pm me if you are interested.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chevroletbbc
Looking to put hydraulic steering on my 89 baja 240 sport. I get chine walking bad around 63 m.p.h. An as you climb it does get worse. As far as hydraulic steering i'm working on a budget. When i was looking into them im not sure as to what length ram i would need an all the measurements. Any suggestions?
I am not a fan of the cable to hydraulic systems, better than just cable but still retains the cable. Hydraulic from helm back is the best way to go but be ready to get your wallet out.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

keep your eyes open facebook swapshop etc.... a 24 can probably get by single ram full hydraulic. ram length can vary depending on where you mount the mounts. type of mounts etc. If you check out imco's sight (the pdf catalogues) there is a full listing of ram length, mounting cap and mounting width, then you just need to think about it. THere are different systems for dif things.

The system I just got has a wider rear cap and shorter dual rams for a narrower transom. found it on FB swapshop in damn near new condition for $1100 so the deals are out there.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Remember to check the drive steering pivots for wear too. Adding even the best hydraulic steering to a worn out drive won't help you much. Just grab the drive and see how much you can wiggle it back and forth. That might be pert of your problem too.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Registered

Is there one location better then the other for the Rams?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Its more determined by room, though the longer the throw the more precise you can get, but precise and offshore.... Room wise, my rig has a 7 foot at the most beam throw some k planes back there and mounting room starts becoming scarce.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chevroletbbc
Make sure you gimble and outdrive are not sloppy. Your hull may have a lot of hook. Also different props can help as well, what are you running now. 63 seems low for bad chine walking, something is causing it
Old 12-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Registered

It's not real bad at 63. When it's bad is over 65. I've hit 72 an instantly pulled out because of violent chine walking. That's when I was playing around with props to see if any of them would help. I'm running a bravo 1 4 blade 28p. I've tried a three blade also an several other 4's. None of them seemed to really help. The best overall was the 28 I have on there now.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

What kind of power are you running, Im sure that hull wasn't designed to run into mid 70's and up, but I guess if ya got the sack for it go a head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.