Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Impacts of hitting rev limiter? >

Impacts of hitting rev limiter?

Notices

Impacts of hitting rev limiter?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Just curious of everyone's opinions on this. With the 555 ECM cutting fuel when the revlimiter is reached, Whipple said " do not continually run on the rev limiter, continued abuse of the rev limiter can cause severe engine damage". Especially in my stock piston 496HO setup scenario.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^ great for the reply so THX - and someone else that agrees with what I have said in the beginning of this post and if you search up here, I have said a bunch before.

And actually OEM merc and in all their OEM service manuals for ECM 555 and PCM 555 lists it drops spark hitting the REV limiter.

Last edited by BUP; 01-07-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
So unburned fuel continuously hitting a hot exhaust valve(s) is OK - would like to hear how that over time is fine.

Yes. Its hot air with fuel vapor. Not liquid fuel. It's hitting the exhaust valve regardless and we are talking milliseconds not immersion of a glowing valve into water.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
Thanks for the replies. Just curious of everyone's opinions on this. With the 555 ECM cutting fuel when the revlimiter is reached, Whipple said " do not continually run on the rev limiter, continued abuse of the rev limiter can cause severe engine damage". Especially in my stock piston 496HO setup scenario.
Whipple raises the rev limit with their programing, Merc's limit is totally fine. BANG ON
Old 01-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
^^^^ great for the reply so THX - and someone else that agrees with what I have said in the beginning of this post and if you search up here, I have said a bunch before.

And actually OEM merc and in all their OEM service manuals for ECM 555 and PCM 555 lists it drops spark hitting the REV limiter.
Bup, Thanks for the info. Good to get a spot on answer as to what actually happens when the 555 hits the rev limiter.