Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Solid roller lifters with bushing wheels whos running them in a high lift cam .750+ >

Solid roller lifters with bushing wheels whos running them in a high lift cam .750+

Notices

Solid roller lifters with bushing wheels whos running them in a high lift cam .750+

Old 01-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Solid roller lifters with bushing wheels whos running them in a high lift cam .750+

Was wondering who's running the bushing style lifters?
What kind of time are you getting with them?
And how much lift spring pressure and RPM are you running?
Was wondering why JESEL don't have them available?
I don't have the balls to try them friend of mine was getting 35 runs with needle bearings and only 30 with bushing lifters but that was at 9500rpm.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bushing lifters have their place but unfortunately they have been marketed as a "be-all and end-all" lifter and that's just not the case. When the Cup teams were finally allowed to run roller lifters, not one of them went to a bushing lifter that I'm aware of. They all run needles. Hendrick runs Morel exclusively. 99% of the time when a lifter fails, it's not the lifter's fault. All a bushing lifter does, and all it was intended to do, is give you a warning that something is wrong. They can't "fail" in the same manner as a needle lifter, dumping a bunch of tool steel needles into your engine. They will wear and you'll see a potential problem in increased lash before there's a failure. Bushing lifters are a maintenance item and will wear. They have little to no tolerance for dirty oil. They will take more spring pressure and more aggressive lobe profiles but only in an extreme condition. Morel had the original patent and did all the R&D for GM when they developed the lifter. It was only after that patent ran out that Isky and Crower jumped on the bushing bandwagon. Morel's R&D was funded by the OEM's. If everything is right, like valve train geometry, push rod length, spring pressures, lifter bore clearances, etc...a needle bearing lifter should last a lifetime in most of these off shore applications. If you want that ounce of protection from a failure, then run the bushing lifter, just know it's not a drop-in and forget item.