Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
#3 drives on TRS  BOAT IS IT WORTH IT??????????????? >

#3 drives on TRS BOAT IS IT WORTH IT???????????????

Notices

#3 drives on TRS BOAT IS IT WORTH IT???????????????

Old 01-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #3 drives on TRS BOAT IS IT WORTH IT???????????????

I have nothing but good luck here, with questions. I have a 86 scarab 400 basically a 38 scarab with bbc 597 hp each. It currently has trs drives which i just got and are really clean.
My buddy has a set of super duper clean ssm #3s gimbles and drives. I can gett for under 5k for both.

1st- is it worth it speed wise even a little is good. Hahahahaaa

2nd- what is entailed in the change out, cutting bigger hole easy, refiberglassing to make new hole not so easy

3rd- props has anybody ran these #3s on a scarab trs boat, boat and what are my prop options?

4th- how much different is the x from a trs drive?

Any and all information would be greatly appreacted.

Steve vasquez 916 247 0623
Old 01-19-2016, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

how complete of parts? tailstock of trans is different, I think you have to re-set engines, some glasswork in transom, props, trim rams, inner and outer transom assemblies.

if you can get the parts cheap and they are good it will live MUCH longer the TRS will, speed you probably wont see much if any takes more power to spin a 3 but will not blow gearsets all the time...
Old 01-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

are they 3's or 3A's. parts for the 3 are harder to find and are small prop shaft and there are limitations on finding props. 3A's are easier to find parts for and use the bigger prop shafts.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I think someone on here did the same thing (Mild Thunder?) they said that the cut out for the SSM III is bigger than the TRS, so that should not be a problem. As long as you get everything from the tailstock back you should be good (I think) I think you will have to remount the front engine mounts. I think X dim is the same.