Iron VS Aluminum heads >

Iron VS Aluminum heads

Notices

Iron VS Aluminum heads

Old 01-20-2016, 08:58 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought about going to iron heads just because salt water eats the living **** out of aluminum. Who wants to spend 10 grand on heads every 5 years?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are literally hundreds of aluminum head choices on the market these days and they go from basic stock replacement design levels, to raised runner, spread port full competition heads. The only draw backs I see to iron is 1) the weight, and 2) there isn't the selection and performance design upgrade choices available like the aluminum heads, but they're getting better. I've heard a few people mention "CNC" options for aluminum heads. Well CNC machining is not limited to aluminum. Any port can be digitized and CNC machined in any head. There are lots of iron heads out there with CNC machining done. If you start looking into some racing classes that have iron-only head rules you'll start seeing some pretty darn nice iron heads with a lot of time and effort into their development. The EQ320 is a good head to start with for the BB Chev. The Dart Iron Eagle 330 is a fully CNC ported iron head. There are some aftermarket BB Ford iron heads that are some very serious competition heads. The shapes and designs of the ports and chambers are what really matters, not the material. One of the design "flaws" in the BB Chev conventional head is the size of the chamber, not only in volume, but also surface area. It transfers way too much heat and making the head out of aluminum only makes things worse. The real benefit the aluminum chamber has over most iron heads is it's design and shape which up until just recent years was a huge improvement over OEM iron heads. It wasn't the material that made it better.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther

For instance; 4 years ago I got rid of my Merlin Grumpy Jenkins heads and installed AFR 357 CNC heads. I did not change a single thing on the setup other than bolting the heads on and I gained 3-400 rpms and the boat went from running 87mph to 92.3mph l[/url]
Apples to oranges. An ok casting compared to a full CNC head I would expect some very nice gains.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
There are literally hundreds of aluminum head choices on the market these days and they go from basic stock replacement design levels, to raised runner, spread port full competition heads. The only draw backs I see to iron is 1) the weight, and 2) there isn't the selection and performance design upgrade choices available like the aluminum heads, but they're getting better. I've heard a few people mention "CNC" options for aluminum heads. Well CNC machining is not limited to aluminum. Any port can be digitized and CNC machined in any head. There are lots of iron heads out there with CNC machining done. If you start looking into some racing classes that have iron-only head rules you'll start seeing some pretty darn nice iron heads with a lot of time and effort into their development. The EQ320 is a good head to start with for the BB Chev. The Dart Iron Eagle 330 is a fully CNC ported iron head. There are some aftermarket BB Ford iron heads that are some very serious competition heads. The shapes and designs of the ports and chambers are what really matters, not the material. One of the design "flaws" in the BB Chev conventional head is the size of the chamber, not only in volume, but also surface area. It transfers way too much heat and making the head out of aluminum only makes things worse. The real benefit the aluminum chamber has over most iron heads is it's design and shape which up until just recent years was a huge improvement over OEM iron heads. It wasn't the material that made it better.
Couldn`t agree more, especially the chamber design. I have A LOT of hours into chamber work on my heads which translated into 134cc and lowered my compression to 7.5:1 .Now that I have a chance to raise that back to 8.4:1 with flat top pistons and knowing my flow numbers tailor the cam I`m hoping for some good numbers.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

Coating the pistons other than the skirts ever notice the underside of the piston crown. What is that browish build up ..burnt oil. Have experimented with coating that side with a heat barrier which reduced oil temps. Have also painted my aluminum heads to help retain some heat. Some clam just pant the front and rear cylinder areas and not the center cylinders to keep heat temps more even between middle and end cylinders.

BBC has issues with the combustion chamber width vs the bore size they were really designed for a 5.00 bore back in the 427 days.
Some engines iron factory heads ported will flow better than some of the aftermarket stuff.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mmb
I have thought about going to iron heads just because salt water eats the living **** out of aluminum. Who wants to spend 10 grand on heads every 5 years?
I think you should join the iron head club, especially in saltwater.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Registered

Not an expert, what effect does fuel have on this debate? The reason for my question, I have some old small block chevy stuff I will be throwing together for a drive around fun car, and have debated old good iron heads versus aluminum. If running e85, does that make the fuel burn cooler? Taking some of the heat detonation problems away? I've heard you can run more compression on e85.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GeeterB
Not an expert, what effect does fuel have on this debate? The reason for my question, I have some old small block chevy stuff I will be throwing together for a drive around fun car, and have debated old good iron heads versus aluminum. If running e85, does that make the fuel burn cooler? Taking some of the heat detonation problems away? I've heard you can run more compression on e85.
What detonation problems ? What heat problems ? Im still not understanding how mercury has tens of thousands of iron headed marine engines out there for several decades now, and all of a sudden theres a heat/detonation problem if you use iron lol

I would imagine ethanol would burn cooler though?

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 01-20-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
I like the weight savings of an aluminum head, but one thing I think about is the expansion rates of aluminum on an iron block vs iron on iron. I have no idea what issues it causes but the rate of expansion between the two are huge, could be a non issue, just throwing it out there. What does it do to head gaskets with the differential?
That is a good question. I see companies like AFR advertising how "thick" there decks are, and how that is great for forced induction engines. Theres no question iron is stronger when comparing them at the same thickness level. Is it possible an iron head has a better clamping force and less chance of distorsion under high pressures ? Maybe why high compression, high cylinder pressure diesel engines are still running iron heads ? I know a diesel engine can have extreme pressures and extreme exhaust temps. What do they do to keep their exhaust valves in one piece with their iron heads ?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,399 Posts

WAG - less rpm (less power strokes per minute and more valve on the seat time), smaller valves, less cam duration (more time on the seat), etc,etc ???

I don't know diesels well, thus the WAG.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.