Head Gaskets >

Head Gaskets

Notices

Head Gaskets

Old 01-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gaskets

I was running Felpro Mls gaskets previously on my engines. I deceided to do some upgrades and upon disassembly I found traces of water heading towards #7 cylinder under the head gasket. I don't think it ever made it in the cylinder but I don't want to use the MLS gaskets again. In talking with the the machine shop they said they have seen this problem over the last couple of years a couple of times. Now I know a lot has to do with the straightness and surface put on the block and heads. I have Boetie blocks and Dart Iron Eagle steel heads, bore is 4.60.
My question is could I use the old tried and true Felpro blue head gaskets that have been around for ever? These are non-super charged engines. Sometimes I think all of these fancy new head gaskets are more problems than they are worth.
Does anyone know what type of gasket was used in the 540 Bulldog engines?
Old 01-24-2016, 08:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Ive seen better results with a MLS style.

We started using Cometic brand on our motors in the past. no water intrusion... side seepage or signs of edge wear from detonation. I would try again or maybe a brand change.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If i remember correcty those merc bowtie engines used a $400.00 set of compsition gaskets that were aftermarket.
Yes , has to be smooth ,clean and straight,good head bolts for mls but would be upgrade over standard gaskets
Old 01-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the block&heads need to be smooth&flat for the mls gasket to seal properly.the problem is not the gasket brand but most likely improper surface prep.the use of mls gaskets is not necessary on most marine engine builds under 900 hp.there are tons of engines useing good quality fel pro conventional gaskets that last for years.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

i think I would just use a fel pro composition gasket like this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe...et?prefilter=1
Old 01-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I used the Fel-Pro head gaskets on my previous boat, 10:01 comp NA 540" motor, never an issue! That being said I'm using Cometic mls on my new motors in the Panther, they are supercharged.

Something I have always done, and I know not everyone will agree with it, is to pray a coat of "High-Tac" gasket adhesive spray on both sides of the gasket prior to install. I've never had any water leak problems.

NOTE: if the block and heads aren't clean, smooth and flat I don't think it matters what you use, you will probably have a problem!!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

FYI a Kiekhaefer 482 off shore race motor came with Fel-Pro Performance Marine Head Gaskets - 17040
Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TomR
I used the Fel-Pro head gaskets on my previous boat, 10:01 comp NA 540" motor, never an issue! That being said I'm using Cometic mls on my new motors in the Panther, they are supercharged.

Something I have always done, and I know not everyone will agree with it, is to pray a coat of "High-Tac" gasket adhesive spray on both sides of the gasket prior to install. I've never had any water leak problems.

NOTE: if the block and heads aren't clean, smooth and flat I don't think it matters what you use, you will probably have a problem!!
i know some people use a sealant on mls gaskets even tho both fel pro and cometic directions tell you not to use any type of sealer.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Fwiw

Mopar vehicles use MLS gaskets. When R&R ing a cylinder head, their bulletin specifies using a mopar spray adhesive on the new gaskets.

I had one engine with cometic mls that i copper coated gaskets, the other with uncoated fel pro mls, no leaks on either after 4 seasons

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 01-24-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I always use copper coat on my Cometic MLS gaskets. Just a little added insurance for me, and have NEVER had one fail. The guys at cometic say you don't have to do it, but its easier to spray it on, then pull a head. Also as stated above, surface prep is key. I can't even count the times that people blame parts when its the fault of something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.