Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel Stabilizer + 93oct + Boostane = ? >

Fuel Stabilizer + 93oct + Boostane = ?

Notices

Fuel Stabilizer + 93oct + Boostane = ?

Old 02-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Fuel Stabilizer + 93oct + Boostane = ?

My boat has been sitting since October with about 50 gal in each side.

I would like to add fuel stabilizer, it will be sitting for another 3 months.

My question(s):

1. At this point should I even bother?
2. What are the effects on the Boostane, running about a 99-100 octane mix right now.
3. I believe the fuel was non-ethanol (93), but could have 10% in it.

Please advise, do not want to cause any damage when we bring it out in the Spring.

Engines are 572 w/14-71s running about 8:1 comp & 5lbs of boost at WOT, 5800rpm.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Registered

OR..... should I just pump out the tanks and start fresh come May...... ?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Good question and you will get a million different answeres. The best one might only give you peace of mind for a few months! Lol

its already been 3 months, and without starting it the fuel that's in the fuel system won't get treated.

I would just leave it and if your really concerned drain all the fuel in the spring and change the filters

But you will probably be fine by topping off the tanks with fresh fuel in the spring, changing fuel filters, and taking it easy the first tank out.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Registered

I'm thinking for all the $$$ and A$$ ache I've been through with this thing, best thing to do would be drain all the fuel in Spring, change filters and fill up with new fuel and Boostane.

There goes some nice treated fuel, but in the end, it'e the cheapest option......
Old 02-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

The A$$ aches never stop with boats of this caliber!

Why do you think you need boostane?

Who built your engines and how much power do they make?

I've just noticed this alot where people have been "sold" to just pour a bottle in! You know, for safety. Well the safest thing is a proper mix ratio for what the engine was tuned for.

Using more octane then required is not better unless you are unsure of what the octane is and want to error on the high side, like topping off on the water where they only have 90 and you normally run 93. In that case adding the appropriate amount of boostane or similar octane booster is great. If only boostane would post a mix ratio chart for 90 octane, the most common fuel on the water in a sport they promote their product for!

I would personally rather run similar fuel every time then have to mix boostane constantly and having different mix ratios in every tank.

Sounds like you have a good plan for spring!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would wait until spring then put 30 gallons of 112 in it and run it.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Registered

^^^Not a bad idea either. $8 / gal !
Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Registered

This is the chart I have. Currently running 110:1 or 99 oct mix "just to be safe". Really just wasn't sure how stabilizer reacts with Boostane....

Boat is tuned for 93 oct. and can run that way.

A couple more points is all I am after for extended runs. And before everyone hangs me, I'm not pretending to be an expert here, so go easy....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550659[/ATTACH]

I'm gonna go sit on my boat and listen to the radio now.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Stabilizer + 93oct + Boostane = ?-boostane-chart.jpg  

Last edited by frickstyle; 02-06-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:48 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would pump it all out and put the proper current fresh gas in it. As gas sits the lite ends of the gas formula evaporate leaving the dark ends - reason why gas over time looks like ice tea. But the kicker here is gasoline and RVP = reid vapor pressure. You always want to use the current gas supply in that timeframe because it has the current RVP rating for usage for the climate season.

In some states RVP changes 7 times per year. Anyways search up here about RVP or on the net. You will see what I am talking about. This is taught very strongly in OEM marine classes more so than anywhere else because boats sit for long periods time with gas in them plus boats are very season used. You should take my advice about this as I have seen the results of how RVP factors alot into how well a marine engine will run or how poorly it will run. There is even testing equipment that some boats shops have to test RVP of the fuel.

Last edited by BUP; 02-06-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:14 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

This should help hopefully. I do not like to run engines with gas that is more than 30 days old in a performance boat nor really in any boat. Plus I always do 3 version of fuel samples - 1 sample of fuel from the fuel water sep filter and 2 from the gas tank. This is part of proper maintenance anyways owning a boat because of the current fuel supply on the market. Every boat that I work on, the first thing I do is fuel sampling and change all fuel filters especially at the beginning of boating season. Its part of turn key boating. Just saying

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-what-psi.html

Last edited by BUP; 02-06-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.