Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Iwas thinking about this... THe BBC has been around a long time, 540 marine motors have been around a while too. a 650 HP Marine 540 should be a pretty standard recipe.. 850~1000 hp blower motors have been dependably built for years.. These setups have been done for years and down well. The basic builds are proven. Im not getting the need for exotic one off cams or rocket scientist valve trains.

Am I missing something??
Old 02-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
Great post Alex.
Thanks Scott, and thank you for contributing tech in TECH forums as well. I owe Chris Straub and you an apology for interactions we have had in the past on here. I was given misinformation about both of you that caused me to form an unfair opinion. Hopefully this place can get back to being about engines, and the free sharing of information. Cheers
Old 02-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Great write up Alex , The Magic of the Custom Cam is just smoke and Mirrors , I've probably slung more cams through Spintrons and Dyno's than most on here. That Magic profile on the Spintron , doesn't necessarily correlate to Huge numbers on the Dyno , and that big number Dyno Cam 99% of the time thrashes the **** out of the Valve Train. Custom Cams have there place , but its in the High Dollar world of Professional Motors Sports , where Teams have Millions of dollars to find that .5 to 1.5 horsepower . By spending countless hours on R&D trying to work around a rule limitation . Not in our world of real jobs
and Budgets for our Hobby !
The following users liked this post:
1983ScarabIII (04-27-2022)
Old 02-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Thanks Scott, and thank you for contributing tech in TECH forums as well. I owe Chris Straub and you an apology for interactions we have had in the past on here. I was given misinformation about both of you that caused me to form an unfair opinion. Hopefully this place can get back to being about engines, and the free sharing of information. Cheers
Thank you. I appreciate that but water under the bridge for me. Glad to be here and learning.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:34 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

And I am glad to have met you guys in person as well. You and Chris ^^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Alex- you made my hero list.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUP
And I am glad to have met you guys in person as well. You and Chris ^^^^^^^^^^
Likewise! Was really great talking to you at PRI.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason3603
You have great points Mike. It is very critical that the engine build is set up to the proper specs in their entirety, not missing or overlooking anything. Over the years I have learned a lot, one of the most valuable lessons I have learned is that everyone that assembles engines has an opinion on what proper specs are. One thing I know with absolute certainty is that I am not using these specific cams ever again, probably end up using them as table legs. You are more than welcome to put them in a set of your engines to prove me wrong or you can take my word for it. Are you willing to take the risk? Please don't take this out of context, I am not trying to be abrasive or rude.

This thread is not really about my build, if you would like to discuss my build in detail feel free to contact me. I was trying to bring out my thoughts on how I will seek an off the shelf cam before I go after a magic bump stick.
before you make table legs from them post up the specs,maybe i or another oso member could use them.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex, I've talked to you about putting together a Holley HP EFI system for my current build. Maybe we need to talk about camshafts too??? I'd rather scrap this new "custom" cam now, vs. having any problems.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:04 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Very interesting read, I've always been suspect of the Custom cams that have been pushed and bragged about on OSO when we've never seen a back to back comparison with any other cam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.