Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
9.6 compression and boost >

9.6 compression and boost

Notices

9.6 compression and boost

Old 02-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using aluminum fuel tanks with the e85?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:02 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes, before running the E85 I put some in a large glass container, I threw in some braided line, some peices of aluminum and a couple O rings, left it sit for almost a year and couldn't find a problem with anything.

Last edited by GPM; 02-18-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,047 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I'll be watching this, Im setting right around the same compression, I have a 4.5 cc dome on the pistons I could take off, but I'd rather leave the short block together

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 02-18-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I am watching this too. I always though of doing an e85 blower build and sounds like I have come to same conclusion as Rob did. Only thing I don't like is lack of availability. Only two stations in my are carry it at all. I think the low regular gas prices are about going to make e85 disappear.

But I love the idea of it! Proceed the tech discussion! I have been wondering on slightly higher static compression on a motor to be healthy NA for a while then add the boost. My next boat will have a plan along those lines.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

http://www.diamondracing.net/tools/

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html
Old 02-18-2016, 05:15 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

+++

Last edited by GPM; 02-18-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
My most recent boat has 572 NA's with aluminum heads, and 9.6 compression ratio. Would like to discuss adding boost to these engines without lowering compression ratio, or using intercoolers so I can fit under the current blower scoops on the hatch. I guess my knee jerk reaction is 8-71's or a 10-71 if they would clear a distributor without an intercooler, and e85. Before everyone goes down the e85 and boats don't mix road, I have done a lot of research and let's just assume it's not a problem. I can't use centrifugal chargers because I have tall deck blocks, and there simply isn't room to build out, I have to build up. I can't afford new fuel injected whipples, so roots style it is. These motors make 650hp as NA's, and the goal would be 800-850hp. The only negative to e85 for me would be burning more of it, and availability of fuel when I leave my local stomping grounds. I could put a 100 gallon aux tank in the truck to combat some of that issue, but wondered if my goals could be reached on pump 93 fuel. I love being different and unique, and actually want to build e85 engines, but I am wondering if my goals could be made on 93 pump?
Rob, if you were ok with tearing the heads off, what you can do, is go with a thicker head gasket (within reason). Assuming these are as cast heads, You can bring the heads in to a cylinder head porter, and have them clean up the chambers, and do some chamber work like valve unshrouding, polishing, blending seats into chamber, etc. Typically, you might add maybe 5-6 worth of volume to the chamber, while also increasing airflow, esp if you are running a 2.300 valve, and nothing has been done to the heads. It would be a win win for you. More flow, less compression. Its basically like when you order an as cast AFR head, or one that has been CNC ported in the chamber. Even though the chamber volume grows due to the porting, and the compression takes a little hit, the advantages of the low lift airflow gains, normally well overcome any loss due to the static compression decrease.

I would have no issues running a 10-71 on that combo, with around 9:1, and 5-6lbs of boost, and you should easily hit your goal, on pump gas as well.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

My only question about the E85 would be how much more fuel you'll burn compared to gasoline. The availability is a whole other story but if you can get it great. With this setup to make 800hp, I don't think you need the E85 do do it if you lower the CR a little bit with a head gasket. You can also open up the chambers a little.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
Yes, before running the E85 I put some in a large glass container, I threw in some braided line, some peices of aluminum and a couple O rings, left it sit for almost a year and couldn't find a problem with anything.
I did the same test as well but for almost two years with no ill effects either. Guys in the street seen have been running e85 and turbos for years with huge success. I can't believe it hasn't caught on in our hobby. Imagine 11.1 static compression and still being able to push 15-20 pounds of boost (that is a conservative number), all on pump fuel that is around a $1.25 a gallon at the moment. This is all done with the same tanks, pumps, and parts we use in the offshore world. As far as the "water" being such a huge problem, it's really not. Water is attracted no more to e85 than it is e10. And if your that worried about it you can put a ball valve on your tank vent lines and close them when the boat is not in use.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put a whipple 305 on it takes the place of 6-71 thru 12 71 ..and does not affect distr,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.