Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo 1 shifts hard into reverse? >

Bravo 1 shifts hard into reverse?

Notices

Bravo 1 shifts hard into reverse?

Old 03-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1 shifts hard into reverse?

I pulled the control shifter cable off and it works fine. Off the shifting mechanism I noticed there was a cable going down to the drive maybe that cable is bad. I can manually shift from the mechanism and it's easy going forward but going in reverse is hard It shifts forward just fine it's only in reverse. If I have to replace the control cable from the mechanism down to the outdrive is it possible without pulling the drive. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!!

" if you're not breaking boat parts you're not having fun!lol
Old 03-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the cable to the drive is froze up. That's how mine acted. If it was stuck in gear, then I would say you've welded your shifting cones together.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Payton
Yes the cable to the drive is froze up. That's how mine acted. If it was stuck in gear, then I would say you've welded your shifting cones together.
Does the outdrive have to be removed to replace cable?
Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Yes it has to be removed, which in itself isnt that bad of a job. But the new cable HAS TO BE ADJUSTED CORRECTLY. That isnt so hard if you have the right tools to adjust it and the tools arent expensive. Im am not trying to dog on you, we all started from square one working on boats at one time, but if you are worried about having to take the drive off, the shift cable may not be the job for you. Also since you have the drive off and are in there anyways, now would be be a good time to do the bellows
Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Yes it has to be removed, which in itself isnt that bad of a job. But the new cable HAS TO BE ADJUSTED CORRECTLY. That isnt so hard if you have the right tools to adjust it and the tools arent expensive. Im am not trying to dog on you, we all started from square one working on boats at one time, but if you are worried about having to take the drive off, the shift cable may not be the job for you. Also since you have the drive off and are in there anyways, now would be be a good time to do the bellows
Yes I feel up to doing the job I'm thinking that I will adjust the cable first and get that right first. If I'm lucky maybe that's all I need to do. Lol. So did u just buy the needed tool from a dealer? Think I will buy a service manual for the outdrive. I'll look on eBay and web to find it. Thanks so much for the info.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Registered

THe tools are cheap, they are more like a couple jigs then tools. use good bellows not the cheap ebay ones, If you know anybody with a portside card for west marine, the price for the good ones isnt too bad.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:12 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Or I can sell you MERC OEM quality bellows and shift cable kit. Merc OEM shift cable kit is the best on the market compared to the aftermarkets - granted its more money but worth cost.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Or I can sell you MERC OEM quality bellows and shift cable kit. Merc OEM shift cable kit is the best on the market compared to the aftermarkets - granted its more money but worth cost.
Cool yah, how much for both. Going to try the adjustment first. Not sure if I need special tools for that. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
THe tools are cheap, they are more like a couple jigs then tools. use good bellows not the cheap ebay ones, If you know anybody with a portside card for west marine, the price for the good ones isnt too bad.
Thank you!
Old 03-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Registered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-MerC...FS4U2T&vxp=mtr

Thats the tool, but if you get the cable and bellows from BUP just get the tool from him too,

R&R on the drive, have a buddy help, its bulky and heavy Your toe wont like becoming friends with the drive and the drive wont like becoming one with the floor. If you pull it yourself, throm a piece of plywood or something on the floor under the drive for the skeg to slide on, then crank the trailer jack untill the skeg is about touching it. That way you are just sliding it back and balancing it as opposed to trying to balance it AND lift/keep from dropping it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.