Old 03-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

29 scarab 1998 single 502 with bravo drive
Old 03-07-2016, 03:25 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

1998 should have GEN II cool fuel system NO VST system.

Now you say it starts and runs for a tad then stalls ???

If that is the case I would check fuel flow and fuel pressures.

Fuel flow can be checked with clear fuel line for testing ONLY.

You should have a spin on fuel water sep filter as well. Have you changed it ???

Engine serial number dictates what you have for parts and systems. Year model of the hull means not too much for the engine and drive side.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the beep for the fire boy system arming? I have found at times the wiring to the fire extinguisher rots out and can cause a no start issue. Also check to see if you have a anti siphon valve in the fuel line anywhere as they can plug up.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Registered

it has only done it this one time ?? after about 15 min. I got it restarted and it was like it never happened? I haven't changed the water fuel separator since I bought it only owned it for 4 months or so https://webmail.kirbycorp.com/OWA/at...0160307_155451
Old 03-10-2016, 11:00 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,102 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by ray mcgee
Yesterday after running boat with no issues,came back to boat. Boat started fine and idled for 5 min or so then sounded almost as it was missing and died. When turning the key numerous times noticed there was no beep when turning the key and would not start....after checking fuses breakers and trying to continually start the beep came back but engine would start up and die right away...then let it sit for a few minutes then starts up with now problem for the rest of the day... it is a 502 mag motor please help
Most of us took this as the starter wouldn't crank when you turned the key.

Are you saying that it did crank, but engine wouldn't fire and run ?

This can be totally different avenue of diagnostics from each other.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Registered

after having a fresh set of eyes went back over to storage and tried to duplicate the no beep when starting.... and I did I found by cycling the key faster then every 4 seconds or so the beep would no beep. so at this point in more concerned with the no start issue. I think I created the no beep issue by cycling the key over and over real fast. im starting to really lean towards a vapor lock issue has anyone else had similar issues serial number to engine is 0f884374??
Old 03-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Registered

after doing more research believe mine has the vst fuel vs. the cool fuel however can someone post a pic so that im sure? seeing how it only has done this once sure seems like a vapor lock issue or a fuel issue im changing fuel separator today and continue to dig more info on making sure the vapor lock symptom's are stopped ? am I going in the right direction? checked cannon plug oil pressure switch battery connections ect. no white milky stuff in cap as described above... I think the may be the issue
Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,102 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Cough, cough, ....ahem. Please answer this.

Originally Posted by SB
Most of us took this as the starter wouldn't crank when you turned the key.

Are you saying that it did crank, but engine wouldn't fire and run ?

This can be totally different avenue of diagnostics from each other.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it as no start=rurrurrurrururur
no crank .............
Ray, I'll try and post up a pic of my setup later today, but maybe with your serial number Bup can say definitively what system you have.
Still more info would help, been boating all winter in the south? Or first run of the season after layup. If you give these guys GOOD information they can really help you out.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'M NOT A MECHANIC- so take this with a grain of salt

I had something a little like this when I first got the boat - the warning beep would go on/off for no reason -- turned out it was how I set the depth warning -- nothing was wrong. Believe me I looked everywhere, oil level, grounding wires etc. DUGH

3pointstar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.