Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

THanks Bup.

Found this vid on them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UZ6wYTjUpo
Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I also added a pressure gauge at end of rail to ensure regulated pressure shown at console matched at furthest point from distribution, it did. I have switched the injectors thruout diff positions to see if they changed, also measured the tubes vs markings, tube 4 came up 1 ml short of all the others in a repeated measuring test injecting a 60 ml sample then draining, repeating 4times, at 120ml, was off the same 1 ml vs the others, i add that to all the readings. Yes, I'm measuring reading at the crown of meniscus, worked in boiler chem testing lab and o2n2plant lab before.
Attached Thumbnails Disturbing findings flowing and testing injectors-20160329_150245.jpg  
Old 04-13-2016, 09:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Steve alot guys are adding their own fuel pressure regulator in the mix as well.

I have posted this before I follow and have learned alot from Paul Yaw. I do not know him personally but sit in whatever he has at PRI and elsewhere. Last year they did not have a seminar. They do everything first class and wait to see their new electric fuel pump that is coming to market. I had the demo on it and a chance to run it as well in their test tank.

The last seminar I sat in was with Bosch and Mr. Yaw for 3 hours and for free. I will post a vid from him but you have to listen very closely what he says about fuel injectors and testing them. He is so right about the points he makes. Extremely very smart about fuel injectors / injection.

Last edited by BUP; 04-13-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

When testing them did you run them for a long time like maybe 20min? Just wondering the way our boat motors are loaded I wonder what happens to the flow as they beat up.

Btw

I just had a 500efi injector stick full on. The new one will be flow tested before it goes in.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 PM
BUP
Banned

A good vid for info.

Listen to it very closely - spray patterns, testing machines - old tech and 80's injectors. Spray patterns are the most important thing from a correctly working flowing injector(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOTtSrFugM
Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 PM
BUP
Banned

I test run fuel injectors for 30 minutes straight and the GM Multecs are one of the worst. The longer the injectors run - heat can be be produced. The fuel injector Internal coil(s) can even short out causing very poor and or NO spray pattern at all. You can even test the injector(s) to see how well it flow volumes the first minute out of the gate compared to operating it for 30 mins. Sometimes the volume is way different.

Last edited by BUP; 04-13-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Hmmm, would we be better off going back to carb setups? A lot of us would probably toss and turn all night long if we truly knew what was really going on inside our engines. Nonetheless, excellent technical investigative work.
Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Depending on how and where you boat, the marine environment can be one of the best applications for a decently set up carb. For most of us, we boat at the same elevation and general temp range, this in itself negates two of the bigger drawbacks to carbs. For a sanely built marine, n/a app., I think carbs still make a lot of sense if you get them set up right to begin with.
Originally Posted by getrdunn
With that said I sincerely hope the OP gets everything figured out. I have always been old school and like a carb/carbs on top of engines. It wasn't until recently I found myself researching a lot about good efi systems. Actually considering for 565 builds in the works. They have come a long ways over the years. The only thing that prevents me from doing so is when I read threads like this. I realize there are several good systems on the market working flawlessly however something is to be said about old school simplicity.
EFI sounds life cool stuff...especially for someone that likes messing with hi-tech stuff compared to a carb app. For myself, I am glad that I have decided to go with a Holley carb---especially their Ultra HP Series with the black anodized anti-corrosion coating and some 30+ upgrades.

For guys like Articfriends/Smitty, EFI is something he loves doing and is good at. I just don't have the time to be messin' with all that kind of stuff.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
When testing them did you run them for a long time like maybe 20min? Just wondering the way our boat motors are loaded I wonder what happens to the flow as they beat up.

Btw

I just had a 500efi injector stick full on. The new one will be flow tested before it goes in.
I dont have temp controlled testing fluid in my machine so I havent ran injectors for more than 10 minutes flowing them BUT I have ran them thru (4) 15 minutes cleaning cycles triggering the coils in the ultasonic cleaner till they were good and hot, blew them out then got them on machine while still good and warm, havent seen the flow degrade on any so far from increased temperatures BUT havent tested any GM multecs yet as BUP mentioned.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
A good vid for info.

Listen to it very closely - spray patterns, testing machines - old tech and 80's injectors. Spray patterns are the most important thing from a correctly working flowing injector(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOTtSrFugM
There is another great video from Paul I'll try to find and post. They run all of their injectors for 30 minutes at 200 hz (24,000rpm) just to break them in before they do any flow testing on them.

Last edited by underpsi68; 04-14-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BUP
If you are worried about injectors have them checked out or buy from this company - one of the top rated injectors in the world - they teamed up with Bosch. Look at how they test injectors and so forth. I have sat in on anything they have for seminars in the past years. If you think you know alot about fuel injectors and fuel injection this place knows more about it than most ever could in a lifetime.

http://injectordynamics.com/company-overview/
WOW, they are pricey, I'm sure you get what you pay for though! After speaking with the owner of Racetronix I was impressed with how they buy each part number of injectors 240 at a time then match/flow them for same price as they are sold everywhere else so I bit the bullet and did a dealer buy in as I want the injectors I buy to start out as close as possible. was impressed with the first set I got from them last week, a second set of (6) 80lb siemans dekas just showed up today that are going in a 600 hp turbocharged 3800 in a 2004 Grand Prix GTP, will post findings once I flow them too, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.